[NEohioPAL] GospelMuscial Premiere

Sandra Dixon chgospelchoir at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 08:55:51 PDT 2009

Gospel Recording Artist Lecresia Campbell Joins The Cleveland
Heights Gospel Choir and Alumni To Present The All-New Gospel Musical “Sleeping
in the Bed You Made”

For Immediate Release

June 9, 2009

The Cleveland Heights Gospel Choir and Alumni band together
to present the all-new original gospel musical, “Sleeping in the Bed You Made.”
The production features the talents of over 50 Cleveland Heights current and past students
and will take place on the stage of the Bolton Theatre at The Cleveland
Playhouse, July 17-July 18, 2009. The play is an original, written by Cleveland
Heights Gospel Choir director, Sandra Dixon.

The Cleveland Heights Gospel choir was founded in 1974 at Cleveland Heights High School by five students who shared
a love for gospel music. Now, as a way to celebrate the accomplishments of the
previous 35 years, the alumni have come together to present this inspiring,
uplifting musical drama. Special Guest for the play will be Gospel great
Lecresia Campbell..

After recording her
rendition of “Perfect Praise (How Excellent)”, which took the nation by
storm, Lecresia became a background vocalist for Vanessa Bell Armstrong and
later shared the stage as a solo artist with singers such as Larnelle Harris,
Donnie McClurkin, Mary Mary, Gerald Levert, Stephanie Mills, and a host of
others.

Lecresia began captivating audiences in
musical plays such as Dreamgirls, in which she starred as Effie. She performed in two of David
Talbert's hit shows Mr. Right Now and His Woman, His Wife.  Both productions toured the country
performing to sold out audience for 3 years.
She recently played TV Judge Mathis’ mother in Tell it to the Judge.

In between theatrical performances, Ms. Campbell
returns to her singing. Lecresia recorded her first solo project entitled, Even
Me, which took the nation by storm and earned her a Stellar Award
nomination for Best Female Vocalist (traditional). Ms. Campbell had the number
five spot on the chart with the hit Magnify from the Gospel Heritage
Praise and Worship project and currently is working on the DVD of Lecresia
Campbell’s Greatest Hits.

Sleeping in the Bed You Made is a story that reminds us that no
matter how far we go in life, how successful we think we are, we cannot hide
from the events of our past and we certainly cannot hide from God. The play
opens in a rural town in Georgia.
Audrey Andrews has gotten her big break and is leaving to become an anchorwoman
at WSJD-TV in New York City.
The church sends her off in grand fashion, with a rousing rendition of “Just
the Beginning” by Kurt Carr. We find Audrey, several years later, very
successful, living out the good life. The only thing missing from her life,
besides God,  is a satisfying
relationship. While interviewing NFL star, Rishaun Williams, she is smitten by
his agent, Clayton Endicott. The relationship develops quickly from there.
During a pivitol moment in the play, Clayton reveals some information from his
past that causes Audrey to rethink the relationship. From there, her situation begins
to go downhill. It is then that Audrey slowly begins to realize that the true
cost of her success may be higher than she anticipated. What has she given up
to gain it all? Is this façade she’s been living coming off? After tragedy
strikes, Audrey wonders, “Is it too late to put my trust back in God?”  This play, which features a mix of
contemporary and traditional gospel music, will you have you clapping, singing,
crying, and rejoicing!

Opening Night for the musical is scheduled for Friday, July
17th at 7:30p.m. The production continues with a Saturday afternoon
showing on July 18th at 3:00p.m. and will close with a Saturday
night show at 8:00p.m.

All tickets for Sleeping in the Bed You Made are $25 and are
available through by phone at 1-800-838-3006(Brown Paper Tickets) or online at www.sleepinggospelplay.com; Group
tickets of 10 or more are $20 each are available by calling 216-469-2731.

Beverly Golden

Cleveland Heights Gospel Choir Alumni Association

216-849-1521