[NEohioPAL] "Moratorium" for you!

Mike Norton xsideofparadise at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 14 10:11:05 PDT 2009

Dear Cleveland Theatre Professionals,

Will you help mount my new play, "Moratorium", with me?

When I was 14, I watched news reports in my hometown of Cleveland of a 10-year-old girl, Amy Mihaljevic, who had been kidnapped.  This went on for four months before they found her body.  She had been murdered.  That was 20 years ago.

Two years ago, I read an artice in the newspaper about this girl and her cold case, still unsolved.   It frustrated me.  That same summer, as I lay falling asleep, a full-grown spirit of this girl visited me, and whispered something in my ear.   Was it a trick of my mind?  I wasn't so sure.

Weeks later, I flew for the first time to New York City, with a connecting flight in Philly.  I rode the shuttle across the airport, and noticed a young kid sitting in front of me, wearing a black baseball cap.  On his neck was a black tattoo of the word "Amy", with wings sprawling out from each side of it.  Gave me chills.

When I got to New York, I wrote the first draft of my play, about her ghost.  I have had a couple of readings since then, in both New York and Cleveland, and polished it to a point with which I am most comfortable getting it to a stage for a full production.  It is conclusive, tributary, and about the relationships between those dealing with the loss.   I have dedicated it to the memory of Amy Mihaljevic, although it does not by any means isolate itself to her case.  Still, Cleveland, as a possible premiering venue for the play, may be too close to the actual case, which is why I write you for your help.

Eight characters comprise the ensemble of the play, two of whom are Morgan, the ghost: one to be played in Acts 1 & 2 by a woman in her upper 20s, the other to be played in Acts 2 & 3 by a ten year old actress.  The production design is minimalist.

Would you be interested in helping to mount this for me?

Sincerely,

Michael A. Norton
Dramatists Guild of America, Inc.
(216) 381-9565