[NEohioPAL] Fw: In memorium: Gordon Waller of Peter & Gordon

The Kent Stage wrfaa at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 20:02:16 PDT 2009

--- On Fri, 7/17/09, The Kent Stage <wrfaa at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: The Kent Stage <wrfaa at yahoo.com>
Subject: In memorium: Gordon Waller of Peter & Gordon
To: wrfaa at yahoo.com
Date: Friday, July 17, 2009, 5:35 PM

Northeast Ohio's Best Acoustic Venue

In memoriam:  Gordon Waller - one half of 1960's singing duo Peter & Gordon

One of their last performances was at The Kent Stage on May 8, 2009

On
May 8, 2009,  Peter and Gordon performed their next to last live
concert at The Kent Stage.  The large crowd was treated to an
exceptional evening of great songs, wonderful performance and two guys
who genuinely enjoyed performing together.  A true highlight of the
evening was a humorous interaction between the duo when Peter forgot
the words to Lady Godiva.  This  included at least four miss-starts of
the song until the lyrics were presented to Peter.  At the end of the
song, Peter bowed to Gordon as he was correct.  The duo played everyone
of their hits and introduced each song with a story of how it came
about.  Additionally, they shared a bit of their history with Paul McCartney, Apple Record, James Taylor, Badfinger and other artists they had performed with or Peter had produced over their 50 year career.  Following the concert both Peter and Gordon signed autographs in
the lobby until the last patron left.

Thanks Gordon, it was a special night for all of us in attendance at The Kent Stage!

More info:
www.myspace.com/pasherand gwaller

The following is from Steve Marinucci of The Examiner

Gordon Waller passed away early today at the age of 64 in a hospital near his
home in Connecticut. He suffered a cardiac arrest.
...Peter &
Gordon had nine Top Forty hits in the USA, UK and most major countries
in the world between 1964-1968. Four of their hits were specially
written for them by Paul McCartney. "A World Without Love" (the first
Lennon-McCartney composition not recorded by The Beatles to reach
number one on the charts), "Nobody I Know", "I Don't Want To See You
Again" and "Woman".

In recent years Waller had reunited
professionally with his singing partner Peter Asher and the duo
performed well-attended reunion concerts throughout the world.
At
their first full concert in 38 years, held at the Beatles fan
convention in New York in March 2006, event host Martin Lewis surprised
the duo by reading them a special message he'd secured from their old
friend Paul McCartney.

"What the world needs now is
Peter & Gordon to sing their songs and remind us all of the fab
years they are from. I'm very glad to hear that they have got together
after these many moons and are going to help to make a World Without
Love into a love-filled planet."

Waller and Peter Asher performed in Los Angeles last August (2008) on
the 40th anniversary of their last performance in the 1960s. They
performed to a large audience -- including many Hollywood stars -- at
The Santa Monica Pier and were joined on stage by longtime friend and
admirer Joan Baez.

Waller is survived by his wife Jen - whom he
married in March 2008; by his first wife (with whom he stayed on
excellent terms) Gay; by their two daughters Phillipa and Natalie; and
by his two younger sisters Diana and Annie.

STATEMENT FROM PETER ASHER:
Gordon played such a significant role in my life that losing him is hard to comprehend - let alone to tolerate.
He
was my best friend at school almost half a century ago. He was not only
my musical partner but played a key role in my conversion from only a
snooty jazz fan to a true rock and roll believer as well. Without
Gordon I would never have begun my career in the music business in the
first place. Our professional years together in the sixties constitute
a major part of my life and I have always treasured them.
We
remained good friends (unusual for a duo!) even while we were pursuing
entirely separate professional paths and I was so delighted that after
a hiatus of almost forty years we ended up singing and performing
together again more recently for the sheer exhilarating fun of it. We
had a terrific time doing so.
Gordon remains one of my very
favourite singers of all time and I am still so proud of the work that
we did together. I am just a harmony guy and Gordon was the heart and
soul of our duo.
I shall miss him in so many different ways. The
idea that I shall never get to sing those songs with him again, that I
shall never again be able to get annoyed when he interrupts me on stage
or to laugh at his unpredictable sense of humour or even to admire his
newest model train or his latest gardening effort is an unthinkable
change in my life with which I have not even begun to come to terms.

RIP Gordon Waller

Location & Ticket Info
The Kent Stage is located at 175 East Main Street in downtown Kent, Ohio.  There is FREE parking behind the theater and on all city streets.  Advance tickets are available at Woodsy's Music and Spin-More Records in Kent, or 24-hours a day at www.kentstage.org or call 1-800-595-4849.  Tickets will also be available at the door.  Doors open one hour before concert.  If you have any questions please email us at wrfaa at yahoo.com or information at kentstage.org or call 330-677-5005.

Jack Bruce Update:
Jack is on tour in Europe and we are now working to schedule a date on his next US tour.  Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Thomas Simpson
The Kent Stage

Forward email

This email was sent to wrfaa at yahoo.com by wrfaa at yahoo.com.

Email Marketing by

Friends of The Kent Stage | 175 East Main Street | Kent | OH | 44240