[NEohioPAL] What it Takes to Write a Book

DeeNCR at aol.com DeeNCR at aol.com
Wed Jul 22 17:22:20 PDT 2009

Dear Conspicuous, and fellow writers:

While I avidly support any means for writers to get together and learn
more about their craft (and always encourage my students to form writers
groups whenever possible), I must say I'm surprised by this email from a  fellow
writer in this wonderfully supportive writing community.

After more than 20 years in this business, I find this response  regarding
my publishing credentials hurtful, insulting -  and  undeservingly
-disrespectful.

To those prone to guessing . . . serious writers work hard to earn our
credibility. It's wholly unfair for one person to question it without knowing
the facts. (And may I add first that yes, anytime you can gain knowledge
free  from other writers, it's a wonderful opportunity that all writers should
take  advantage of. I do not set the price for my classes, I just make darn
sure it's worth every penny. That's my job, and I take it seriously.)

Fact one:
University Presses (of which there are hundreds across the U. S. ) are
well-respected in the publishing world. These "small" publishers have  high
expectations and no one should thumb their nose at the many  quality books that
they publish.

Two:
The reference to my "self-published " book confirms the kind of  mentality
I feared when I was contemplating the decision for my second  book. I was
all too aware of the bad rap (and yes, in some cases deservedly so)  of
self-publishing. But this book was very personal to me, and I wanted it  done my
way, so after weighing many options, I chose a  POD because I felt I could
not compromise in how it would be  presented. I wanted complete control over
this one.

Three:
Just completed my third book - which will be published by a large,
traditional, national publishing company - and based on my experiences,  now having
worked with three very different publishing  companies, I feel I can offer
much information, inspiration and  genuine helpful insights into this
difficult world, for anyone wishing for  that.

Four:
Marketing 101 - If you do not let people know what's available, they  will
not attend. NEohioPal is a great resource for this. I was simply  letting
people know about this class. Again, just doing my job.

Don't feel it's worth it? Please feel free to pass. But please do not
insult a veteran writer by "guessing."
You may keep someone from missing out on something that may indeed be just
what they were looking for.
Not interested, simply hit "Delete."

Thank you for your time. And respect.

Sincerely,
Deanna Adams

In a message dated 7/22/2009 4:16:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,