[NEohioPAL] A Mike & Ike Tribute to Evil Dead-The Musical Part 1

Jeff Holland mikethelimeyandikethehick at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 10:10:46 PDT 2009

WARNING:  IF YOU DIDN’T SEE IT, YOUR LIVES HAVE NO MEANING AND WE WEEP FOR YOU.

Mike: (English accent) Greetings and salutations.  He’s not Mike.

Ike: (Southern accent) He ain’t Ike. Well, dear friends, we can’t believe they’re not doin' this themselves.

M:  But we have no problem doing it for them.  Evil Dead-The Musical

M&I: (Together) THE GREATEST PIECE OF ENTERTAINMENT IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY PERIOD

M:  is officially

M&I: (Together) THE LONGEST RUNNING SHOW IN THE BECK CENTER’S HISTORY!

M:  That’s right!  It’s not Joseph; it’s not Rent Jr., it’s not a show that’s been done 30 million times in the last three years.

I:  And why do you think it became

M&I: (Together) THE LONGEST RUNNING SHOW IN THE BECK CENTER’S HISTORY?

I:  Because we whored our asses off for it.

M:  Besides that.

I:  Oh.

SHORT PAUSE

I:  Not sure.

M:  Because it was an exceptionally well done production of an exceptionally good show.

I:  Oh, that!  Yeah.

M:  We saw people of all ages the three times we saw it:  young, old, decomposed, and everyone was laughing, cheering, and just basically enjoying the hell out of it.

I:  Which we knew would happen.

M:  Indeed.

I:  We were a little shocked by the critical response. EVERYONE liked it.  Even if they didn’t get it, they liked it.

M:  But that made us even happier.

I:  Except for the review in Sparkle, which said the music was unmemorable.

M:  But he liked it.

I:  But he didn’t like the music! What the hell?  Still think it’s cause it was written by a straight guy.

M:  ANYWAY, the critical and fan reaction proves what we’ve been saying for the past three years.

I:  See?  We know what we’re talkin’ ‘bout.

M:  To everyone involved in this show:  Congratulations on such a successful and record breaking run and thank you for proving us right.

I:  We shot a video during the final performance which will be uploaded in a couple of days. In the meantime, we talked ta director Scott Spence early last week and were able to ask him a couple of questions before the cops showed up.

US:  So, as the show begins it's final extension, you sick of it yet?

HIM:  Sick of a sell-out show with a raucous crowd every single performance? Kinda like I'm sick of filet mignon and pocket aces.

US:  Did you think it would run this long?

HIM:  Indeed I did. That's why the cast had to sign on for 12 weeks for a 6 week run. Cleveland's wacky taste did not disappoint (Smart man, that Scott).

US:  Were you surprised by just how good the critical response was?

HIM:  Occassionally the local scribes tend to scoff at overt silliness... but sometimes they really can let down their collective hair a bit. I'm thrilled they embraced it. Thank god it wasn't written by Andrew Lloyd!

US:  Just how nervous was everybody the night that George was there? How'd it feel knowing how much he liked the show and were we the only two who didn't get to party with him afterwards?

HIM:  We survived tech week, an actress with pnuemonia, and more blood leaks than a Godfather trilogy---- by the time George arrived the war was over, and we were ready for tickertape. And yes... we drank in your honor and made him imbibe a few on your behalf as well! Geroge was wildly gracious. I'll always be indebted.

US:  What's the next twisted show for you, sir?

HIM:  Well, unless I do the right kind of drugs, I don't think "Peter Pan" and "Spelling Bee" at Beck or "Last Night of Ballyhoo" at Case will be all that 'twisted'. "The Producers" next summer, however, should provide some warped opportunities. Just imagine goose-stepping at the Lakewood 4th of July parade.

M:  That thought made us very happy.

I:  We also asked the cast how they felt about Evil Dead bein' a record setter and against the advice of their agents, lawyers, and grammas, a few of ‘em answered.

JOSH THEILAN: (Scotty) I think it's great and wonderful and a one of a kind, unique sort of feeling. I'm very, very proud to be a part of it and would love for them to bring back the production again REAL soon. Recast us if/when need be but keep the show going! It would be good to have understudies anyway. It's sold out every night for the entire run and probably could be sold out for another 12 weeks at least.

Also, if I had the forum to speak about the show, I'd only want to thank everyone involved in this production from the effects, to the costumes, to the staging, to the choreography, to the acting, to the lighting, to the sound and the band, to the publicity, to the reviews, to the interviews, to the ad libs, to the audience members, to the director and the cast, to George and to everyone involved in the Beck Center's production of Evil Dead The Musical, THANK YOU SO DAMN MUCH! It's been a pleasure and I will sincerely miss seeing you all every weekend.

Having to end this show is a bitch.... a stupid bitch.

MEGAN DEPETRO: (Linda) It's been a really great experience. I've been lucky to work alongside many of Beck's veteran performers and to be invovled in such an extensively complicated special effects production. I feel like I learned a lot about comedy, timing, and reactions of non-theater goers when I walk into a bar covered in fake blood.

I'm going to miss seeing everyone on the weekends, and usually a few days in between. It's been 18 weeks total of being with these people and it's been fun! Thanks to everyone who saw the show and came back to see it again and again! Scott and Larry, thanks for having faith in me. Cast, thanks for the laughs. Crew, you are all amazing. Jenniver, you are one of my favorite people ever! George, thanks for being funny and twisted. I will remember this show forever!

AMIEE COLLIER: (Cheryl) I think it's wonderful that evil dead has become a cult phenomenon in Cleveland. not only have the theater crowd come out and support us, but people that have never seen a show have been opened up to theater. Hopefully the evil dead fans will realize that musical theater will not kill them or maim them and will continue to support the local arts.

M:  Especially if it’s a show that hasn’t been done 30 million times in the last three years.  Coming very soon:  THE VIDEO. MUAHAHA

I:  Namaste.