[NEohioPAL] CWRU: Versions (?) of Shakespeare

Larry Nehring larry.nehring at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 15:38:16 PDT 2009

I think we are in dangerous waters whenever anyone discusses
Shakespeare as a pristine text. No real evidence exists as to what was
performed in his time so little stock should ever be taken in any
claim at fidelity. The folio was published after his death with enough
differences from the previously published quarto editions for their
accuracy to be questionable. No manuscripts exist, and nothing of the
plays in Shakespeare's own hand.

As was pointed out, there were no actresses in his plays, but today an
all male cast would be considered rare and controversial.

Woodcuts and journals seem to be clear that Shakespeare's actors wore
"modern dress", so contemporary clothing would be more accurate today
than doublet & hose.

As for cutting/amending the text... it is rare for any Shakespeare
play to be performed uncut. The prologue to Romeo and Juliet says,
"two hours traffic of our stage," but it is difficult to even read it
in that time, let alone perform it in under three. Big cuts have to be
made.

While I was working at the Cleveland Shakespeare Festival we boldly
cut and played with casting. The ideas were Shakespeare's as were the
words, even if we rearranged or dropped many to make the story as we
chose to present the most clear possible.

Shakespeare's plays should not be considered literature. Literature is
meant to be read. Dickens was very careful with word choice and
published his works. Homer recited his works and people memorized them
by his example.  Shakespeare produced plays with so many current (for
his audiences, not ours) references that it it easy to see how the
lines would change as the social and political landscape changed
around them. Lines which might displease the king or queen dropped and
jokes about recent scandals added.

I am not an expert at Shakespeare, and let's not even start an
authorship discussion, but I would respectfully caution anyone from
judging an adapted script unless it is a complete deviation from the
plot intent. Nahum Tate was one famed adapter who played pretty
loosely with the original texts. However he and those who produced
revisionist Shakespeare plays kept interest in the Bard going for all
these centuries.

Bottom line is... Shakespeare wanted butts in seats. Every ticket was
income. If he really cared about the faithfulness to the scripts he
would have made sure there were "correct" versions for all to adhere
to religiously.

My humble opinions only.

Larry Nehring
LNehring at aol.com