[NEohioPAL] Auditions for The Last Night of Ballyhoo - Akron

Jan Harcar Jharcar at weathervaneplayhouse.com
Thu Aug 20 08:54:06 PDT 2009

AUDITION RELEASE  X AUDITION RELEASE X AUDITION RELEASE

Contact: Janis Harcar, Director of Advancement

Ticket Office: 330-836-2626

Weathervane Playhouse Announces
AUDITIONS BY APPOINTMENT for
THE LAST NIGHT OF BALLYHOO
A Comic Drama by Alfred Uhry

(Akron, Ohio, August 20, 2009 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE...)  Weathervane Playhouse will hold AUDITIONS BY APPOINTMENT for THE LAST NIGHT OF BALLYHOO which will be performed in Weathervane's mainstage auditorium. Auditions will be held at Weathervane Playhouse, 1301 Weathervane Lane (in the Valley off Merriman Road) on Tuesday and Wednesday, August 25 & 26 by appointment beginning at 7 p.m.  Please call for an audition appointment at 330/836-2626, Mondays between 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Tuesdays through Fridays between 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

12 Performances October 8 - 25, 2009

Characters:

Adolph Freitag, a businessman. Late 40s

Boo Levy, Adolph's sister, a few years older

Reba Freitag, Adolph's sister-in-law, middle 40s

Lala Levy, Boo's daughter, 20s

Sunny Freitag, Reba's daughter, 20

Joe Farkas, Adolph's business assistant, 20s

Peachy Well, a visitor from Lake Charles, 20s

Audition Preparation:

Be familiar with the script. Audition scenes and scripts are available at the Playhouse.

About the Play:

>From the playwright of Driving Miss Daisy, this comically romantic drama examines the lives of Atlanta's "Jewish upper crust" in the late 1930s. As a frivolous Gone With the Wind-inspired fever captures the city, the Freitag and Levy families fuss over a country club cotillion called Ballyhoo. Meanwhile, across the Atlantic Ocean, Adolf Hitler's advances are stoking the fires of war. With tenderness and gentle humor, The Last Night of Ballyhoo scrutinizes the notion of a Jewish-American identity. Winner of the 1997 Tony Award for Best Play.

About the Director:

NANCY CATES, with husband Terry Burgler, is a founding Artistic Director of Ohio Shakespeare Festival and Artistic Director of Coach House Theatre.  We have enjoyed Nancy's previous directing stints for Blithe Spirit, A Man for All Seasons, The Two Gentlemen of Verona, Communicating Doors, Gypsy, Lend Me a Tenor, All My Sons, Moon Over Buffalo and Bloody Murder.

The Ohio Arts Council helped fund this program with state tax dollars to encourage economic growth,

education excellence and cultural enrichment for all Ohioans.

Additional Season Sponsors: WKSU, WCLV, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company

www.weathervaneplayhouse.com

Janis Harcar
Director of Advancement
Weathervane Playhouse