[NEohioPAL] Daytime shows for SCHOOL GROUPS

Melanie YC Pepe mycp at weathervaneplayhouse.com
Mon Oct 5 11:42:46 PDT 2009

NEWS RELEASE
Contact: Melanie YC Pepe (330) 836-2626
www.WeathervanePlayhouse.com

Weathervane Playhouse
1301 Weathervane Lane * Akron, Oh 44313

CLICK ME for a PEEK at Project STAGE!

Come and See Project STAGE in action! We use live theatrical performances to awaken, enliven and challenge the minds of students with issues both interesting and relevant to our time. Thanks to the support of the Akron Community Foundation and the Ohio Arts Council, we are able to offer tickets to school day performances at the rate of $5 each! We hope you and your students can join us for one of this seasons' many performances.

Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
A musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice
November 24 (SOLD OUT) & December 17 (SOLD OUT)
December 1 & 9 at 10:00 a.m.

A rainbow ride through Ancient Egypt on the wings of Andrew Lloyd Webber's uplifting music and the humor of lyricist Tim Rice. This Broadway blockbuster has instant appeal for every audience with elaborately staged production numbers and a score full of hits! Have your students take a look at the musical theater experience and learn how it has impacted American theater, and performing arts around the world.

Pride & Prejudice
Based off the book by Jane Austen, adapted by Jon Jory
March 4, 9 & 11 at 10:00 a.m.
A fresh yet faithful adaptation of the original novel by Jon Jory.  Pride & Prejudice follows the adventures of Elizabeth Bennet, her four sisters and their attempts to find husbands. But once Elizabeth meets up with Mr. Darcy, what seemed at first like a match made in heaven quickly becomes one of the most classic battles of the sexes ever portrayed in literature. All the wit and romance of Jane Austen's classic novel comes to life in this refreshingly fast-paced and engaging new adaptation.

The Great White Hope
A co-production with Cleveland's Karamu House and Ensemble Theatre.
A drama by Howard Sackler
April 13 & 14 at 10:00 a.m.
This drama - inspired by the life of boxer Jack Johnson, the first black heavyweight champion of the world - examines the American Dream as seen through the prism of race.  The Great White Hope won three of the most important awards on Broadway:  the Pulitzer Prize, the New York Drama Critics' Circle Award, and a Tony. When white American fighters refused to compete with Johnson, he traveled to Australia and defeated Tommy Burns in 1908, becoming the first black Heavyweight Champion of the World. Sackler's work explores with deep consideration the consequences of Johnson's achievement in a climate of deep racial unrest.

As a part of our "Project STAGE" Season (Students Through Acting Gain Education) These productions feature:

    a.. Pre-performance lecture and discussions for your class (by request)
    b.. Study guides to prepare your class for the performance
    c.. Post-performance discussion immediately after the performance with the director, actors and fellow students.
We at Weathervane Playhouse dedicate ourselves to the belief that young people should have the opportunity to participate in theater both as audience members and as artists. Hope to see you here!

Melanie YC Pepe
Director of Education
Young Actor Series Producer
Weathervane Playhouse

Office Hours:  Mondays ~ Thursdays 9 - 5, Saturdays 9-5
330.836.2626 x 17

We were nominated for ParentsConnect.com's Parents Pick award! Vote for us at ParentsConnect.com/ParentsPicks.