[NEohioPAL] Age Old Debate

Al Diamond Phillips alitivity at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 25 12:27:32 PDT 2009

Some years ago, I was drinking with some friends, and Jimi Hendrix was playing on the radio. Being a vocalist, I never really got into Jimi, because I didnt think he sang very well. So as the song was playing I stated that " Jimi should have gotten a Singer" One friend ( to protect his anonimity we'll call him by his family nickname Moose) said that I was wrong, that Jimi's voice was the perfect voice for his songs, and the fact that his music has been loved for over 30 yrs is proof of that. My reply was that Jimi Hendrix music sells today to the same basic audience that it has for 30 + years, Teenage boys who want to learn to play the guitar like the person they have been told is the best ever. Of course whether he is the best ever is not this particular debate, rather whether he would have benefited by having a vocalist. I have heard rumors that he was actually talking to Steve Winwood before his death, but not sure if that is true. My point though is
 that if he had recorded with a better singer I may actually own some of his albums.

So why am I rehashing this debate? Well a while back I was sent a DVD from my last two performances with the band Daddy's Belt in April of 1994. The first song on the DVD is us performing Redhouse from Jimi Hendrix, and it reminded me of not only the fun I had singing this song, but also the fun of sensless drunken debates with friends. Moose went on to do some amazing things in the music world, while I sit back as the family man who only performs once a year at my annual Christmas show, and although the debate means absolutely nothing in the real world, its still a fun thing to think about from time to time. So I posted the video on youtube, and I'm dedicating it to Moose! Hope to see you this holiday season.

Check out the video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2wV081Ta2g

Al Diamond Phillips