[NEohioPAL] Gulliver's Travels at Miller South School for the Visual & Performing Arts

wsd wsd at infionline.net
Thu Nov 5 07:30:31 PST 2009

Gulliver Travels to the Miller South Stage

Miller South School for the Visual and Performing Arts presents Lowell
Swortzell’s adaptation of Jonathan Swift’s classic Gulliver’s Travels.
Performances will be held on Thursday November 5 at 7 p.m., Friday,
November 6 at 9 a.m. and Saturday, November 7 at 7 p.m. in the Margo
Snider Theatre at 1055 East Ave., Akron. Tickets are $7 adults, $5
students and seniors. Limited reserved seating available for $15.

Considered the first science fiction novel, Travels into Several Remote
Nations of the World, in Four Parts. By Lemuel Gulliver, First a
Surgeon, and then a Captain of several Ships, as it was originally
titled, is a satire on human nature and a criticism of governments’
often overreaching role. For Irish born Swift it was England’s rule in
the 16th century that was most vexing.

Most recognized for the first voyage to Lilliput, a land of people 1/12
the size of Gulliver, the story is one for all ages and all imaginations
making it an ideal choice for the student presentation at Miller South.
“Theatre is a collaborative art,” says Director Wendy Duke, “through
Gulliver’s four voyages we can bring together the skills of all of our
student artists – visual, performance and technical.”

Giant puppets are being created for the second voyage to Brobdingnag and
the set is a complex dance of platforms to create the many different
locations.

The Miller South presentation is an opportunity to join Gulliver on his
many travels while supporting one of our area’s most unique and
successful school curriculums.

For more information or to purchase tickets call 330-761-1765.