[NEohioPAL] The Phantasmagorical Contraptions of Dr. A. P. Pliance: a Victorian Steampunk Comedy [12/10 & 12/11]

Jess Rudolph jrr10 at po.cwru.edu
Wed Dec 9 10:51:52 PST 2009

The Confused Greenies
Presents a Patchwork Players Production

<http://filer.case.edu/org/commedia/plays/2009-12-10_The-Phantasmagorical-Contraptions.html>The
Phantasmagorical Contraptions of Dr. A. P.
<http://filer.case.edu/org/commedia/plays/2009-12-10_The-Phantasmagorical-Contraptions.html>Pliance
A Victorian Steampunk Comedy
by Gillian Daniels & Aaron Teiser
Thursday, December 10: 8:00pm
Friday, December 11: 8:00pm
<http://www.case.edu/>Case Western Reserve
University - <http://wiki.case.edu/Nord_Hall>Nord Hall 410
(see this
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Nord&mrt=all&sll=41.497569,-81.595502&sspn=0.01117,0.01929&ie=UTF8&hq=Nord&hnear=&ll=41.501812,-81.602154&spn=0.011169,0.01929&z=16&iwloc=A&cid=5109647858752181403>Google
map - free parking off MLK Drive in the employee lot open in the evenings)

It's Clockwork Patchwork in our silly
steam-fueled farce of Victorian melodramatic
comedy in the improvised style of the Italian
Commedia dell'Arte and the British Harlequinade!
The doophy inventor, Doctor A. P. Pliance, is
building yet another contraption! But... what
does it do? Could it be a new airship motor? A
difference engine? A tea kettle? But before the
Doctor can try to figure out his own device,
he'll have to contend with the sappy romance
between his niece Lucinda and the clueless
adventurer Horatio, the miserliness of his
landlord, Pantaloon Bumble, the bumbling of his
zany assistant, Harlequin, and the literal
machinations of the clockwork doll Columbine!
It's a goofy gadget, crazy cog, steam-powered
slapstick clockwork comedy by Nineteenth Century Standards!

The Ridiculous Parts of the Contraption
Doctor A. P. Pliance (an inventor of steampunk contraptions) -- Chuck Minch
Lucinda Pliance (his niece, a débutante [First
Night]) -- Paula Carver [12/10] & Julie Beckers [12/11]
Harlequin (the doctor's lab assistant & street urchin) -- Jess Rudolph
Columbine (a clockwork doll and maid) -- Megan Matthews
Pantaloon Bumble (a miserly landlord) -- Greg Tongue
Horatio Bumble (his son, an airship pilot) -- Mike Brown
Professor Pepperpot (a rival scientist) -- Lars Benthien

To celebrate the end to the most successful year
of The Confused Greenies (this marks our 29th and
30th performances of 2009!) we are also holding
the proper Victorian treat, an ice cream sundae
social with ice cream provided by
<http://www.toftdairy.com/>Toft's<http://www.toftdairy.com/>
Dairy of Sandusky, Ohio - the best ice cream around!

Our performance begins at 8:00pm on both
Thursday, December 10 & Friday, December
11.  Both our hilarious performance and the ice
cream sundae social are free!  Parking is
available for free in the employee lot off of MLK
Drive (labeled as Stokes Blvd on the Google map)
behind the buildings of the main campus including Nord Hall.

Please see the
<http://filer.case.edu/org/commedia/plays/2009-12-10_The-Phantasmagorical-Contraptions.html>webpage
and online posters
(<http://filer.case.edu/org/commedia/ads/2009-12-10_The-Phantasmagorical-Contraptions_brief.pdf>brief
[5 MB] and
<http://filer.case.edu/org/commedia/ads/2009-12-10_The-Phantasmagorical-Contraptions.pdf>full
[82 MB], .PDFs) for more information and
photographs.  Please email lazzi at case.edu with any questions!

foolishly yours,

Jess Rudolph (Niccolò Bartolazzi), Capocomico of
the Patchwork Players Productions:
The Confused Greenies - the Greatest, Loudest,
and Most Pompous Commedia dell'Arte troupe at Case Western Reserve University
i Verdi Confusi - the Greatest of the Newest
Commedia dell'Arte troupe in Northern Oaken of the Midrealm

http://filer.case.edu/org/commedia/

-a hungry, hapless, and hopeful harlequin