[NEohioPAL] Heights Youth Theatre Auditions for Once on This Island

Pamela Fine olydia78 at ameritech.net
Sat Jan 2 06:02:55 PST 2010

Heights Youth Theatre will be holding auditions for Once on This Island

Monday, January 11, 2010 - Grades 1-6
Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - Grades 7-12
Wiley Middle School
2181 Miramar Blvd
University Heights, Ohio 44118

**Please read all the details below - Each audition section will have two parts**

5:00-6:30 ( sing and read text - please note if you would like to read for a principle character
plan on staying the entire time)

For those interested in being a singer or principle character:
Song Selection: please prepare 16 bars of a song in the genre of the show
(Caribbean, gospel, or a similar show tune)

Text Selection: Each person auditioning will learn the STORYTELLER text (grades 1-12), and select one of the other texts based on gender and age: TI MOUNE or MAMA EURALIE for females (grades 7-12), and PAPA GE or DANIEL for the males (grades 7-12). We will have a brief group warm-up and character breakdown before your audition. A link to the text is provided on the audition page of the website.

6:30-8:00 (dance and puppetry- please plan on staying the entire time)

For those interested in being a dancer or puppeteer.

Be dressed for movement, and warm up before entering. There will be a brief group warm-up and intro, you will learn group movement to audition, and we will end with a movement jam session

Potential puppeteers will work with both large and small puppets. You will also need to do at least the warm-up with us to be prepared physically

**Please bring a photo (it will not be returned) - Also please download and complete the
audition form found on the audition page of the website prior to coming to auditions**

for full details regarding auditions visit www.heightsyouththeatre.org

>From The Director:

Once on This Island is a DYNAMIC show and requires a DYNAMIC cast to pull it off properly. Therefore, EVERY PART is important and contributes to the success of the show. To help you, there will be a  workshop on January 9th at the Cleveland Heights Public Library from 9:30- 11:30 AM, that will give you an overview of the show, the cultures that inspired it, the elements that will help create the look and feel of the show, and some movement breakdown. This workshop is free and open to anyone in grades 1-12. The auditions will take place on the 11th and 12th with callbacks on the 13th.  I look forward to meeting and working with you. We are going to have big fun.

Grace, Love, and Peace,

Treva Offutt

Heights Youth Theatre programming is made possible by the generous support of

 Cuyahoga County residents through Cuyahoga Arts and Culture,
Eaton Charitable Fund, the Ohio Arts Council and Target.