[NEohioPAL] Heights Youth Theatre Holding Workshop for Once on This Island

Pamela Fine olydia78 at ameritech.net
Thu Jan 7 22:24:05 PST 2010

Heights Youth Theatre will be holding a workshop with
Once on This Island director, Treva Offutt
on Saturday, January 9, 9:30-11:30 AM
at the Cleveland Heights Library on Lee Road
Free and open to anyone in grades 1-12

The colors, sights, sounds, and language of Haiti have a rich tradition that must be embraced before beginning the Once On This Island journey.  To truly "get into" a piece, you must understand its background and dive into the details. This workshop will be an overview of the culture, movement, and music that informs the production.  The gods and their personalities come from a fascinating source: Who are Papa Ge and Erzulie? Why are they important and how are they related? What is the history of the Beauxhomme and the peasants? How do they relate to Haiti's longstanding struggles? Rhythm is most important to this musical. In addition to our discussion, we will be moving, and singing so that potential auditioners can get a feel for what to expect, and how to approach the styles of the show. Come check out this workshop, and feel the heat in January!

Heights Youth Theatre programming is made possible by the generous support of

 Cuyahoga County residents through Cuyahoga Arts and Culture,
Eaton Charitable Fund, the Ohio Arts Council and Target

www.heightsyouththeatre.org