[NEohioPAL] The Snow Doesn't Stop Livingston Taylor nor DTB

The Kent Stage wrfaa at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 9 11:10:55 PST 2010

Northeast Ohio's Best Acoustic Music Venue!

January 8, 2010

330-677-5005
www.kentstage.org
wrfaa at yahoo.com

 The Snow is OVER

The Sky Is Not Falling!

The Panic Inducers were once again WRONG!

Come to Kent for a couple of great shows this weekend!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Livingston Taylor
Saturday January 9 @ 8PM

Livingston Taylor picked up his first guitar at the age of thirteen, beginning a forty-year career that has encompassed performance, songwriting and teaching. Born in Boston and raised in North Carolina, Livingston is the fourth child in a very musical family that includes Alex, James, Kate and Hugh. Livingston recorded his first record at 18 and has continued to create well-crafted, introspective and original songs that have earned him listeners worldwide.

>From top-forty hits "I Will Be in Love with You" and "I'll Come Running," to "I Can Dream of You" and "Boatman" both recorded by his brother James, Livingston's creative output has continued unabated. His musical knowledge has inspired a varied repertoire, and he is equally at home with a range of musical genres-folk, pop, gospel, jazz-and from upbeat storytelling to touching ballads.

Livingston has never stopped performing since those early coffeehouse days, touring with major artists such as Linda Ronstadt, Jimmy Buffet and Jethro Tull, and he maintains a busy concert schedule of over eighty shows a year. He is a natural performer, peppering his shows with personal stories, anecdotes and ineffable warmth that connect him to his fans. His relaxed on-stage presence belies the depth of his musical knowledge, and fans might just as often be treated to a classic Gershwin or something from the best of Broadway.

As a full professor at Berklee College of Music since 1989, Livingston shares his experiences and knowledge of professional touring with young artists, just beginning to hone their skills. His course, Stage Performance (I and II) is one of the most popular at the College, and it gives him the ideal forum in which to impart the lessons learned through his own career to a new generation of musicians. His book, Stage Performance, is drawn from those classes will be available this fall.

Tickets: $25 Advance/$30 door

Livingston's website

Buy tickets now!

Donna The Buffalo
 Sunday January 10 @ 8PM

A five-member band of electric and acoustic guitars, keyboards, accordion, fiddle, bass, drums and a rubboard, Donna The Buffalo is on a musical journey that began with old-time Appalachian music. A music that's strength lies strongly in simplicity-hard driving, groove oriented and repetitive.

"This band is renowned for their live performances at festivals throughout the USA," said producer Jeffrey Lesser. "we captured their joy, passion, energy, and of course, their writing and performing virtuosity on this new collection (Positive Friction).

Originally incepted in 1987, Donna The Buffalo performs from Vermont to Florida and west to California-appearing ar some of the most prestigious roots music festivals, including Merlefest, The Newport Folk Festival, High Sierra Festival and the Telluride Bluegrass Festival. They also turn belief into action every summer as the driving force behind the Finger Lakes Grassroots Festival. Staged in Trumansburg, NY, the four-day festival benefits AIDS programs and arts education throughout the upstate area.
Traveling across the country in the band's 1961 vintage tour bus, Donna The Buffalo has developed a fervent following. Dubbed "The Herd", the band's inspired fan bas includes young adults, families, children and people of all ages. The Herd spans generations, styles and aesthetics with one common denominator-the love of the roots rock splendor of Donna The Buffalo and the sense of community that surrounds them.

Official Donna The Buffalo Website

Advance discount tickets: $20.00
Day of Show: $25.00

Click here to buy tickets NOW

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 ALEX BEVAN
Saturday Jan. 16, 2010 @ 8PM

"Looking Behind and Reaching
Forward"

I will be celebrating the music of "Springboard" and "Grand River
Lullaby"

as well as the "Lake Erie Chronicles" and showing off some new songs due to be released soon!

This will mark the beginning of my... 40th... yes... 40th year as a Northern Ohio Songwriter and Musical Artist.

Bevan began his musical career playing various coffeehouses in the Cleveland area such
as "La Cave" and "Faragher's Back Room". His first position in a group
was as a backup musician with Irish folk singers Gusty & Sean at
Fagan's Beacon House in the Flats of Cleveland, Ohio. While a student at Akron University, Bevan was introduced to his first producer, Eric Stevens, who signed him to Big Tree Records. His first album, No Truth to Sell,
was released with the single "Linda's Song", which got some airplay.
Between 1971 and 1976, Bevan performed as an opening act for such
headliners as the Earl Scruggs Review, Pure Prairie League, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Jerry Jeff Walker, Jimmy Buffett, Livingston Taylor, Billy Joel and others.

The release of the album Springboard got him some public recognition due to the local hit song Skinny Little Boy. In 1977 he performed on the air on Cleveland's WMMS Radio (Home of the Buzzard) with a band called Alex Bevan and the Buzzard Band, featuring DJ Matt the Cat on guitar[3]. He performed in the mid 70s with an acoustic trio consisting of two guitars and electric bass, and opened for such acts as Seals and Crofts, The Michael Stanley Band, The Doobie Brothers and Hall & Oates.
He soon added David Krauss from the band Tiny Alice to the group,
supplying percussion and harmonica. They toured either under the name Grand River Band or Alex Bevan and Friends from 1979 until 1981, and produced the albums The Grand River Lullaby, Alex Bevan and Friends Live, and Simple Things Done Well. In the early 80's Bevan produced the direct-to-disk digital solo album Tales of the Low Tech Troubadour Vol. 1. He played in the band Alex Bevan & Cuttlefish from 1984 through 1986. In the late 80s to early 90s, he produced the albums Best Kept Secrets, Cuttlefish Live, and Watersongs.His latest releases include South Shore Serenade, Rules of the Road, Fall & Angels and Live at the Kent Stage. An avid producer of folk music, he has produced five recordings for the popular Put-in-Bay/Key West performer Pat Dailey,
and written over one hundred radio and TV commercials. He still plays
many venues, including the Hessler Street and Coventry Street Fairs in
Greater Cleveland, Ohio, the Starwood Festival, Put-In Bay, the Burning River Festival, Cain Park, and Kelleys Island.

Bevan organized a benefit for fellow Cleveland area singer/songwriter John Bassette
on May 19, 2002 at the Beachland Ballroom & Tavern in Cleveland,
OH, featuring Jim Ballard, Charlie Wiener, Michael Stanley, Jim
Schafer, and many others[4]. In 2007 a tribute CD for Bassette, Been Through So Much Together: The Songs of John Bassette,
was released by Skyline Productions, which featured Bevan and others.
Around the same time, Bevan released a posthumous collection of
previously-unreleased songs by John Bassette called Rainbow Colored Clouds. He also plays for the Roots of American Music Annual Benefit for Education.
Official Alex Bevan Website

Advance discount tickets: $10.00
Day of Show: $10.00

Click to buy tickets NOW

Mark O'Connor's Hot Swing
Monday January 18 -- 8:00 PM

Mark O'Connor's Hot Swing captures the electricity and nuance of performances that can only be described as 'spectacular.

O'Connor's
jazz performances and compositions pay tribute to his friend and
mentor, the legendary French jazz master Stephane Grappelli.  While
performing a number of tunes closely associated with Grappelli,
O'Connor's albums and live performances extend the repertoire with
O'Connor's original compositions. Joined by guitarists Frank Vignola and 2009 Grammy nominee Julian Lage, 'Hot Swing' continues to celebrate acoustic string jazz in new and exciting ways.

Mark O'Connor (b. August 5, 1961, Seattle, Washington)

"One of the most spectacular journeys in recent American music."  - The New York Times

"One of the most talented and imaginative artists working in music -- any music -- today." - The Los Angeles Times

"Brilliantly original." - The Seattle Times

"The
audience was on its feet . . . They were moved by Mr. O'Connor's
journey without maps, cheering for the only musician today who can
reach so deeply first into the refined, then the vernacular, giving his
listeners a complex, sophisticated piece of early-21st-century
classical music and then knocking them dead with the brown-dirt whine
of a Texas fiddle." - The New York Times

A product of America's
rich aural folk tradition as well as classical and flamenco music, Mark
O'Connor's creative journey began at the feet of a pair of musical
giants.  The first was the folk fiddler and innovator who created the
modern era of American fiddling in the 1940's, Benny Thomasson; the
second, French jazz violinist, considered one of the greatest
improvisers in the history of the violin, Stephane Grappelli. Along the
way, between these marvelous musical extremes, Mark O'Connor absorbed
knowledge and influence from the multitude of musical styles and genres
he studied. Now, at age 47, he has melded and shaped these influences
into a new American Classical music, and a  vision of an entirely
American school of string playing. As The Los Angeles Times warmly
noted, he has "crossed over so many boundaries, that his style is
purely personal."

Mark O'Connor's Website

Advance discount tickets: $20.00
Day of Show: $25.00

Click here to buy tickets NOW

Upcoming Concerts!

DRUMMER: Jan. 22
The Nightmare: Jan. 23 (Alice Cooper Tribute)
Richie Havens & Harry Manx: Jan. 24
SOLAS: Jan. 28
Acoustic Side of The Moon: Jan. 29
Standing Rock Film Festival: Jan. 30
Missy Raines: Feb 4
Rotary Club of Kent's Music on Main Street VI: Feb. 5
An Acoustic Cafe Evening!
w/t Erin McKeown, Carrie Rodriguez and Ben Sollee: Feb. 6
Marc Cohn: Feb. 17
The Verve Pipe: Feb. 19
Ani DiFranco: Feb. 23
Kent Music Fest: Feb. 26
8th Annual Up From The River Fest: Feb. 27
Karla Bonoff: Mar. 4
Stacey Earle & Mark Stuart: Mar. 6
JOHN OATES: Mar. 18
Ekoostic Hookah: Mar. 19
Henry Rollins: Apr. 1
JONATHA BROOKE: Apr. 30
COLIN HAY: May 13

 The Kent Stage is located at 175 East Main Street in downtown Kent, Ohio.  There is FREE parking behind the theater and on all city streets.  Advance tickets are available at Woodsy's Music and Spin-More Records in Kent, or at www.kentstage.org or call 1-800-595-4849 or 330-677-5005.  Tickets will also be available at the door.  Doors open one hour before concert.  If you have any questions please email us at wrfaa at yahoo.com or information at kentstage.org or call 330-677-5005.

Forward email

This email was sent to wrfaa at yahoo.com by wrfaa at yahoo.com.

Email Marketing by

The Kent Stage/Western Reserve Folk Arts Association | 175 East Main Street | Kent | OH | 44240