[NEohioPAL] time to boycott Hollywood

James Kosmatka jkosmatka at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 08:05:38 PST 2010

Whereas the Golden Age of cinema was rife with thoroughly original stories,
like Cleopatra, Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, and Double Indemnity,
right?

I really have to wonder: who cares?  If you don't like it, don't go see it.
But the fact of the matter is, lots and lots of great films are remakes or
updates or adaptations. Scarface with Al Pacino is a remake. Take a look at
the highest grossing films (adjusted for inflation) in North America. Top
ten: Gone with the Wind (novel), Sound of Music (musical), Ten Comandments
(book), Titanic (historical event), Jaws (novel), Doctor Zhivago (novel),
Exorcist (novel), and Snow White (folk tale).  That's eight of the top 10
(the other two are ET and Star Wars, and you'd be hard pressed to find an
element in Star Wars that George Lucas doesn't acknowledge adapting from
Kurosawa or Shakespeare or the moon Mimas.) Hell, Romeo and Juliet was an
adaptation and that was 400 years ago.  The quality of films coming out of
Hollywood may be declining, I can hardly blame the executives. There was
clearly a time when literate scripts and character development drew
audiences (The Graduate, Gone with the Wind, Close Encounters of the Third
Kind), but people obviously do not, by and large, have a problem with
one-dimensional escapist pablum. If anything, this points to a drastic shift
in the way we perceive the world. Critical thinking skills, an appreciation
of the way we speak and write, the ability to focus for long periods of
time, these things have all been sacrificed. I say we boycott parents who
don't read to their children, who use the TV and video games as babysitters,
who don't take an active interest in their children's learning.  It's the
same reason someone like Sarah Palin can be considered an authority on
anything, or why people can be bullied and blindsided into making economic
decisions counter to their own best interests.  We're given the culture (and
economy and government) we as a society deserve.

/soapbox

James