[NEohioPAL] James F. Meyers, Musician & KSU Audio Engineer, Passed Away 1/23

Jean Zarzour lipschtick at lipschtick.com
Fri Feb 12 23:57:24 PST 2010

*A Musical Offering *to honor the memory of* James Fowler Meyers** (June 7,
1947 — January 23, 2010)*
Ludwig Hall, Kent State University Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 3:00 pm

*I am heart-broken. I just heard tonight, that James Meyers, cellist,
conductor, radio engineer, speaker, photographer and writer, **passed away
on January 23.

James was also one of my prized voice over students. Not only did he do a
wonderful job behind the mic, I was also moved by his passion for creating
retro radio dramas.
*

*He brought his portable recording equipment to class one day and recording
sound affects and crowd noises with his classmates. We had a ball and were
equally entertained by his final product. We’ve lost a true artist, arts
enthusiast and gentleman. I’ll treasure his memory.
*

*If anyone is interested, you can hear a sample of James voice over work
that he did at a recording studio as part of his training with me. I think
you’ll agree. He had a gift.  A tribute to him with a link to his radio spot
can be heard at http://findyourvoice-voiceactinginstitute.blogspot.com
*

*Respectfully, Jean Zarzour*

*PD Obituary 2/1/2010*

James F. Meyers collapsed and died Jan. 23 while preparing to record a
concert at Kent State University's Cartwright Hall.

The popular cellist, conductor, radio engineer, speaker, photographer and
writer was 62. "He was a first-rate musician," said George Faddoul, who
recorded many concerts with Meyers for Kent State University.

"He was a brilliant person. He could talk about anything with anyone."  The
cause of death is not known yet, but Meyers had diabetes in recent years and
lost part of a leg to it. An only child, Meyers lived mostly in Cleveland
and recently in Mentor. He earned a master's degree at Kent State and taught
for three years at Haverford College in Pennsylvania.

Among many roles, he conducted Symphony West, played in the Trinity Chamber
Orchestra, recorded some Akron Symphony concerts, and wrote radio plays for
Geauga Lyric Theater.

Survivors include an uncle and four cousins. They are making funeral
arrangements with E.F. Boyd & Son. Kent State will hold a memorial concert
at 3 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 13, at Ludwig Recital Hall. Friends are trying to
stage another recital in Cleveland.