[NEohioPAL] Why Jane Austen? Why now?

Melanie YC Pepe mycp at weathervaneplayhouse.com
Wed Feb 17 08:42:21 PST 2010

NEWS RELEASE
Contact: Melanie YC Pepe (330) 836-2626
www.WeathervanePlayhouse.com

Weathervane Playhouse
1301 Weathervane Lane * Akron, Oh 44313

Pride & Prejudice
Based off the book by Jane Austen, adapted by Jon Jory
March 4, 9 & 11 at 10:00 a.m.

At first glance -- particularly for most high school students -- Austens popularity is hard to fathom.  Austen wrote about the problems and pressures of 19th century courtship and marriage. Action and adventure are limited to s walk in a rainstorm or a ride in an open carriage without a chaperone; powerful feelings and desires are expressed indirectly; if at all; conversation is high art, flavored with ironic wit and the discussion of weather.  Her characters' behavior and life choices are dictated by standards and values that can seem utterly foreign in a world as rapidly changing as our own.

Perhaps modern readers continue to be drawn to Austen's work because of the very limitations that make us wary at first.  The physical and social landscape within her work is restricted, but the feild of themes, emotions and desires she explores is deep and broad.  How, her novels ask, does a person do the hard work of creating a good, happy, balanced life?*  How do we decide who we choose to be?

CLICK ME for a PEEK at Project STAGE!

Come and See Project STAGE in action! We use live theatrical performances to awaken, enliven and challenge the minds of students with issues both interesting and relevant to our time. Thanks to the support of the Akron Community Foundation and the Ohio Arts Council, we are able to offer tickets to school day performances at the rate of $5 each! We hope you and your students can join us for one of this seasons' many performances.
We at Weathervane Playhouse dedicate ourselves to the belief that young people should have the opportunity to participate in theater both as audience members and as artists. Hope to see you here!

*  pbs.org/masterpiece/austen , Jan. 2010