[NEohioPAL] Global Day of Commedia dell'Arte Comes to North-East Ohio!

Jess Rudolph jrr10 at po.cwru.edu
Fri Feb 19 14:32:46 PST 2010

Ciao!

Next Thursday, February 25, is the first annual
Global Day of Commedia dell'Arte, a movement
spearheaded by the
<http://www.incommedia.org/>Associazione
SAT-incommedia in Italy and
<http://www.factionoffools.org/>Faction of Fools
in Washington, DC to celebrate the 465th birthday
of this masked improvisational comedic theatre
and to highlight it as part of the Italian cultural heritage!

<http://www.factionoffools.org/participants.html>Over
60 troupes, schools, and theatres in at least 20
countries around the world are already
participating - and two of those are from
North-East Ohio! And first, we'll blatantly and
shamelessly (as any good commedia troupe will do) promote ourselves!

<http://filer.case.edu/org/commedia/>The Confused
Greenies are celebrating Commedia dell'Arte Day
with not one but two original productions at
8:00pm on Thursday the 25 and an encore on Saturday the 27!

The first is
<http://filer.case.edu/org/commedia/plays/2010-02-25_Close-Encounters.html>Close
Encounters of the Foolish Kind.  The aliens of
planet R-L-Kwin are plotting to harness the power
of the Most Foolish Comedy in the Multiverse -
the masked improvisations of Commedia dell’Arte!
But their stock Commedia character replicants
might get a little too carried away with the
foolery!!  This story not only teaches about
commedia but also showcases a series of short
farces as seen through a science-fiction
framework (most fitting as this is also a prequel
to our
<http://filer.case.edu/org/commedia/plays/2010-04-23_Dottore-Who.html>Dottore
Who & the Zealous Ones, which is a sequel to our
successful 2009 parody,
<http://filer.case.edu/org/commedia/plays/2009-04-24_Dottore-Who.html>Dottore
Who & the Three Locks of Time).

Next up is
<http://filer.case.edu/org/commedia/plays/2010-02-25_Arlecchino-Lends-a-Hand.html>Arlecchino
Lends a Hand - a play so traditional by 16th
Century Standards it's very risqué by 21st
Century Standards! While Close Encounters is
family friendly (a little slapstick violence
never hurt anyone!), we must stress that
Arlecchino Lends a Hand is ADULTS ONLY for its
inadvertent & inappropriate situations, clueless
innuendos and metaphors, and the general
all-around good-&-wholesome bawdiness we all
love.  Hey, just tell yourself it's historical
culture and fine art! That's what we do!

Our performances on both Thursday and Saturday
are free and include light refreshments. In lieu
of tickets, we are holding a fundraiser to
support local theatre programs in the community
(we're still investigating which programs).  The
performances are being held in
<http://wiki.case.edu/Nord_Hall>Nord Hall on the
<http://www.case.edu/>Case Western Reserve
University campus
(<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=10900+Euclid+Ave,+Cleveland,+Ohio+44106&sll=41.505862,-81.605973&sspn=0.01157,0.01929&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=10900+Euclid+Ave,+Cleveland,+Cuyahoga,+Ohio+44106&z=16>10900
Euclid Ave) in Cleveland.

Shameless self promotions done - the other
participant from the area is Miller South School
for the Visual & Performing Arts Commedia
dell'arte Troupe in Akron! Unlike ours, I can
safely say they'll have a family friendly show!

8:00pm, Thursday, February 25: Global Day of Commedia dell'Arte
8:00pm, Saturday, February 27: Encore performances
<http://wiki.case.edu/Nord_Hall>Nord Hall,
<http://www.case.edu/>Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland
Free!

Email: lazzi at case.edu for more details, questions, or directions!

foolishly yours,
--Jess

Jess Rudolph (Niccolò Bartolazzi), Capocomico of
the Patchwork Players Productions:
The Confused Greenies - the Greatest, Loudest,
and Most Pompous Commedia dell'Arte troupe at Case Western Reserve University
i Verdi Confusi - the Greatest of the Newest
Commedia dell'Arte troupe in Northern Oaken of the Midrealm

http://filer.case.edu/org/commedia/

-a hungry, hapless, and hopeful harlequin