[NEohioPAL] Jazz it up this weekend!

Jessica S. Novak jesssala at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 14:28:28 PST 2010

Lakeland's 38th Annual Jazz Festival
 Get your tickets now! 440-525-7526
"Journeys in Jazz"
Friday, February 26
Sean JonesQuartet

Saturday, February 27
T.S. Monk Sextet

 All performances are held in the Lakeland Performing Arts Center
7700 Clocktower Drive, Kirtland, 44094.
For tickets and information, call 440-525-7526 or e-mail tmyllykoski at lakelandcc.edu. Map

About T.S. Monk

The T.S. Monk Jazz Sextet’s driving style carries on in the tradition of Monk's father, legendary jazz artist Thelonious Monk, to bridge the musical genres. As a drummer T.S. Monk holds a unique position in the jazz world. He continues the legacy of his father's music both as a performer and as an educator. He chairs the prestigious Thelonious Monk Institute which has become one of the premier schools for aspiring jazz musicians in the country. A number of colleges and universities house programs under the umbrella of the Institute.

As a performer T.S. Monk is a highly acclaimed jazz drummer and bandleader and has been active leading his own groups since the early 90s. He has released albums on the Blue Note, N2K, and more recently his own Thelonious recording labels. Prior to forming his own group, he played drums with his father's late era group until the senior Monk's retirement in 1975, and in the early 80s he lead a highly popular R&B group, the T.S. Monk Band, that had several hits on the pop charts.

His jazz group, The T.S. Monk Sextet, follows the hard and be-bop traditions, performing classic music from the pen of the senior Monk and other jazz composers as well as original music from band members. The T.S. Monk Sextet has been a consistent presence on the jazz scene for over 20 years.

The T.S. Monk Sextet includes long time members and emerging talents in the jazz world. The current lineup features veteran member Willie Williams on tenor sax, and Bobby Porcelli on alto sax. Porcelli performed with Thelonious Monk Sr., which serves to further the continuity of the tradition. Williams, a veteran of the New York City jazz scene, has multiple credits as both a leader and sideman, including many years with the great drummer Art Taylor. Pianist Helen Sung is a classically trained pianist who made the switch to jazz after completing her education at the University of Texas and the New England Conservatory. She actively leads her own groups and backs prestigious artists such as Clark Terry and T.S. Monk. On trumpet is educator and established musician Freddy Hendrix. Hendrix has collaborated with George Benson, Lou Donaldson and Wynton Marsalis among many others. The bassist for the Lakeland appearance is to be announced.

About Sean Jones

Trumpeter, composer and educator Sean Jones is one of jazz’s top young trumpeters. A native of Warren, Ohio, Jones leads the Cleveland and Pittsburgh Jazz Orchestras, and has been the lead trumpet player for the Jazz at Lincoln Center with Wynton Marsalis in New York City for the past five years. According to his almost 5,000-strong Facebook fan page, his contemporary jazz style is influenced by the work of Clifford Brown, Woody Shaw, Miles Davis, and Freddie Hubbard, with touches of Kim Burrell, Sam Cooke, and Earth Wind and Fire. The quartet’s lineup includes: Sean Jones, trumpet; James Johnson, drums; and Tony DePaulis, bass. Pianist for the Lakeland appearance to be announced.

Jones recorded his first album when he was only 24 and since then has leapt into the jazz realm as one of the top young trumpeters. His style is known for both his lyrical fluidity and technical facility.  “The idea of being on a journey has been in line with all my albums,” said Jones. “My second album, ‘Gemini,’ explored both sides of my musical loves, R&B and jazz. I expanded that with ‘Roots,’ where I revisited my youth and paid tribute to gospel. And then on ‘Kaleidoscope,’ I created a collage of sounds, exploring different timbres by enlisting vocalists to be collaborators.”

On Jones’ fifth and latest album on the Mack Avenue label, “The Search Within,” the venture continues, but this time the focus turns inward. “This is a journey inside my soul that’s taken place over the past 10 years,” said Jones who recently turned 30. “It’s an assessment of where I am in the present as well as how I’ve learned from my mistakes and triumphs as a way of looking into the future. This album goes very deep for me. It’s a spiritual and sonic journey for me.”

Jones grew up in Northeast Ohio and attended the Cuyahoga County Community College Jazz Studies High School program. Today he lives in Pittsburgh where he is a professor of Jazz Studies at Duquesne University.
2010 Jazz Festival Schedule

Thursday, February 25
7 p.m. Tomorrow’s Stars Concert
Tickets are $7 per adult, $4 per child, and $4 per senior
Four area middle school jazz bands will share the stage with the Lakeland Jazz Impact which is a high school "all-star" band under the direction of Ed Michaels.

Friday, February 26
8 p.m. The Sean Jones Quartet
Tickets are $20 per adult, $10 with a student ID
Trumpeter, composer and educator Sean Jones is one of jazz’s top young stars, who funnels exhilarating emotions through his cool trumpet lines.

Saturday, February 27
1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Lakeland College Invitational
Free and open to the public
Featuring jazz ensembles from Oberlin College, Youngstown State University and The University of Akron.

4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Clinic with T.S. Monk
T.S. Monk will hold a free clinic to share his knowledge and expertise of jazz with amateur and professional musicians. Free and open to the public. Musicians encouraged to bring their instruments for this unique opportunity.

8 p.m. The T.S. Monk Sextet
Tickets are $25 per adult, $15 with a student ID
Jazz drummer T.S. Monk and his sextet explode on stage with their driving style of hard and be-bop traditions.

###

About the Lakeland Jazz Festival
The Lakeland Jazz Festival was founded by retired Professor and Music Department Coordinator Charles M. Frank. Lakeland's Jazz Festival has remained true to its original mission of instilling the excitement and magic of jazz education to the younger generation of musicians. Over 25,000 middle and high school musicians from throughout the state have participated in the festival in celebration of this uniquely American art form, jazz. In addition, Lakeland promotes music education with its summer jazz camps every year. The camp concludes with evening concerts which allow students performance experience in a collegiate setting.

The 38th Annual Lakeland Jazz Festival, a presentation of the Arts & Humanities division, is sponsored annually by a generous grant from The Lake County Visitors Bureau.