[NEohioPAL] OH Shakespeare Festival 2010 Season

Nancy Cates nancycates at ohioshakespeare.com
Tue Feb 23 08:56:19 PST 2010

"The Ohio Shakespeare Festival's performances at Stan Hywet have been a
win-win experience for everyone."

David Ritchey, West Side Leader

Ohio Shakespeare Festival, performing for our 10th season at Stan Hywet Hall
& Gardens in Akron, will present:

The Taming of the Shrew, by William Shakespeare

July 8 - 24

King Lear, by William Shakespeare

July 29 - August 15

Tickets will go on sale May 1 through our website, www.ohioshakespeare.com

Auditions, both Equity and non-Equity, will begin in mid March, and will be
posted shortly.

>From last season:

"If you've ever wished that a Shakespeare production could somehow be
outfitted with annotations and footnotes to help you understand what's going
on at every moment, there's a much easier (and more enjoyable) alternative.
Just sit in the audience while the Ohio Shakespeare Festival is performing."

Christine Howey, Rave and Pan

"This is an evening well spent on the Stan Hywet grounds. Of course, a
bullfrog on his lily pad occasionally croaks to punctuate the action on the
stage. But I'm sure Verona and the Globe Theatre had rude frogs, too."

David Ritchey, West Side Leader

"As You Like It is the most recent example of OSF magic... The outdoor
lagoon setting on the Stan Hywet estate is the perfect setting for love in
the woods, making this As You Like It a play you simply must experience."

Christine Howey, Rave and Pan

 "Soft white light bathes the seemingly lifeless body of Juliet and the
despairing lover who clings to her in the beautifully staged final scene of
Ohio Shakespeare Festival's production of Romeo and Juliet. This gorgeous
aura of candlelight is both ethereal and sepulchral in the tragedy's famed
double suicide in the Capulet crypt.  Andrew Cruse and Tess Burgler are
well-matched as star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet in the outdoor
performance at Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens...  Eric Lualdi is extraordinarily
vibrant as the rowdy jokester Mercutio, Romeo's friend, ever bawdy and
relentlessly teasing."

Kerry Clawson, Akron Beacon Journal

"The most unique part of the production is the work of director/actor Terry
Burgler, who takes the role of the Chorus. As the Chorus, he plays several
parts in the play but is most memorable in the large supporting role of the
Nurse... This is Burgler at his best and doing something we've not seen him
do on the stage since I've been writing about his work."

David Ritchey, West Side Leader

"Employing a lot of eye contact with the audience, an OSF trademark, the
players coax even the most reluctant audience members into the Shakespearian
fold. And they are held there by the company's insistence on crafting even
the smallest characters with detail."

Christine Howey, Rave and Pan

"Our granddaughter thought this was better than anything she saw in London
during her whole spring semester there."

Departing Patron

"Performed in counterpoint to the rumbling croaks from bullfrogs in the Stan
Hywet lagoon, the performance bears all the marks of a Terry
Burgler-directed show: Clarity of character, precision of speech, and an
absolute commitment to making this musical language come alive for everyone
in the audience."

Christine Howey, Rave and Pan