[NEohioPAL] TrueNorth Symphony Concert Friday and Saturday: Jim Meyers Tribute

James Traxler jtraxbay at oh.rr.com
Wed Feb 24 10:30:24 PST 2010

To my dear performing arts friends:

As you may know, I direct the TrueNorth Symphony.  We will present our
annual Symphonic Music Concert at TrueNorth at French Creek Nature Center at
7:30 pm on Friday, February 26, and Saturday, February 27.  Tickets are $10
and can be purchased online at www.TNCArts.org, or by calling 440-949-5200,
or at the door the night of the concert, unless sold out.

Our centerpiece work will feature James and Cassandra Clouser on the Bach
Concerto in C Major for Two Harpsichords.  James was the outstanding pianist
playing for “Side by Side by Sondheim” presented at TrueNorth last November.
His equally gifted wife joins him for this rarely played double concerto.
With Bach as the centerpiece, the theme of the concert is “ABC’s of
Symphonic Music,” and most works being presented are by composers whose name
begins with A, B, or C.  Other “B” composers’ works being showcased are
Georges Bizet’s well-known “Carmen Suite #1” and a solo performance by
harpist Cecilia Ilg McKay of the Beethoven “Sonata Pathétique.”

 The “A” composer is the popular Leroy Anderson, and the Symphony will play
“Blue Tango,” “Syncopated Clock,” and more.  Who doesn’t like Leroy
Anderson?

The “C” composer is the distinguished American composer Aaron Copland,
featuring excerpts from his “Billy the Kid” and “Rodeo” suites, including
the familiar “Hoe-Down.”

The Symphony will premier a new work by one of our own, William Rayer, a
composition dedicated to the tragic Challenger mission, “In Memory of STS
51L.”  Also featured will be flutist Sarah Holmes in a performance with the
Symphony of Franz Doppler’s virtuosic work, “Fantasie Pastorale Hongroise.”
(We have given Sarah an ovation every time we have rehearsed, if that tells
you anything.)

The concert will be dedicated to the memory of James F. Meyers, a well
beloved cellist who played with  the TrueNorth Symphony and many other
orchestras.  He died suddenly in January and will be sorely missed.
Jacqueline Black will perform the Prelude and Sarabande from Bach’s Suite
No. 1 for unaccompanied cello as a tribute to the life of Jim Meyers.

I hope we will have a large turnout for this event.  I’m really excited
about this concert and am eager to share it with all of you.    The French
Creek Nature Center is on Route 611 in Sheffield Village, 2.7 miles north
and west of the I-90 interchange.  The address is 4530 Colorado Ave.,
Sheffield Village.

Hope to see you all there!  Feel free to forward this to your friends as
well.

Jim Traxler

Director, TrueNorth Symphony

 <mailto:jtraxbay at oh.rr.com> jtraxbay at oh.rr.com