[NEohioPAL] Swing Dance THIS SATURDAY FEB 27TH at the Bohemian National Hall!

Valerie Salstrom info at gethepswing.com
Thu Feb 25 07:30:35 PST 2010

Get Hep Swing has been hosting dances at the Bohemian National Hall
the last Saturday of every month for over 10 years!

This is THE BIGGEST swing dance in the area! We typically get between
200 and 300 dancers at this monthly event.

There is a beginner/intermediate jitterbug lesson from 8-9 and
everyone is welcome to partake in that lesson.

You DO NOT need a dance partner or any previous dance experience to
attend the lesson or partake in the social dancing that follows.

We rotate partners in the pre-dance lesson and you will get the chance
to dance with people of all abilities and ages. Rotating partners is a
great way to get the feel for the true lead/follow aspect of good
partnered dancing.

Participating in the pre-dance lesson is a terrific way to meet a
bunch of new people fast!

*We do not recommend this; but if you and your dance partner would
prefer to not rotate during the lesson, please step outside of the
dance circle during the lesson as to not interrupt the flow when we
change partners.

Get Hep Swing provides LIVE MUSIC at 99.9% of their dances. We only
use DJed music for the lessons and band breaks. This dance form
evolved as a response to live music and we believe that it is
important to continue to foster that important bond between dancers
and musicians.

The band sets run between 9pm and midnight.

We feature some of the best bands from the area including; but not
limited to:

Hepcat Revival, The Madison Crawl, Blues DeVille, The Boilermaker Jazz
Band, Blue Lunch, The Dukes of Wail, The Joe Huner Band, The Mike
Petrone Band, Demetrius Steinmetz, etc.

For exact details on which band is playing where and when, please see www.GetHepSwing.com
  under the events section.

The cost is $10 per person and $8 for students with a valid id.

The Bohemian National Hall is located at 4939 Broadway Avenue in
Slavic Village which is just a bit South of downtown Cleveland. The
hall was built in the late 1800s and is listed in the registry of
National Historic Places. It is a BEAUTIFUL ballroom that was
specifically built for dancers and musicians. We are thrilled beyond
belief to have this amazing gem of a venue available to us.

Frequently asked questions.

What do I wear? Attire at the dances can range from super casual to
VERY dressy. Jeans are fine. Sweat pants....ummm...not so much. We are
a tad more classy than that. :) Some fellas will bring a towel and a
change of shirt (or two). Think about it. You are basically doing low
impact aerobics for three/four hours. The driest people usually get
asked to dance more often than the ones who look like they have just
crawled out of a swamp. :D Get the picture??

What kind of shoes should I wear? A comfy shoe that has a non-grippy
sole is best. The smoother/slicker the sole the better. Worn out gym
shoes work amazingly well. As do dress shoes with a leather bottom.

Ladies: Unless you are experienced in dancing in high heels, I would
not recommend it.

You will notice that some people at the dances are wearing shoes that
appear to not be ideal for dancing. Those people have a secret. They
have modified the bottom of their shoes.
They have either had their "shoe man" grind down the bottom of the
sole and attach suede or maybe they have done the low cost version and
covered the sole in duct tape or athletic tape.

Do they sell drinks or food at this dance? They DO sell drinks and
snacks at the Bohemian. The bar is located just to the right of the
ballroom in a seperate room. They sell sodas, water, beer (Czech
beer!), wine, etc. Also in the side room but at the opposite end the
cute little Czech ladies sell pastries, pizza and coffee. Yumm-O! The
prices for the drinks and snacks are VERY reasonable!

What are the ages of the people that come to the dances? Wow! That is
what is so interesting about swing dancing. It attractes people of
literally ALL ages. We get dancers as young as 13 and as old
as ...umm, they won't tell us, but we think they are retired because
they are tan in the Winter! I would say most people are in their early
twenties to early fifities. Does that help any? Probably not.

Swing dancers are a very easy going group of folks who are very
friendly and encouraging. Come join us and find out what you have been
missing!

If you need more information please see www.GetHepSwing.com or phone
Valerie (the owner of Get Hep Swing) at 216-374-1927.

Take care and see you on the dance floor soon!

Valerie Salstrom
Owner of Get Hep Swing, Ltd.
216-374-1927
info at GetHepSwing.com