[NEohioPAL] Audition Notice: Why I Had to Dance at PlayhouseSquare

Cindi Szymanski Cindi at playhousesquare.org
Tue Mar 9 06:13:14 PST 2010

Why I Had to Dance - a new workshop presentation of a chorepoem choreographed by Dianne McIntyre and written by Ntozake Shange

Seeking: Six Dancer/Actors - Four Women (Black and Latina) and Two Men (Black)

Audition: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 11:00 AM

Where: Idea Center at PlayhouseSquare, 1375 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH

Required:
* Extensive training and performing experience in modern, tap, jazz, Latin, or traditional African dance forms.
* Theater training and/or theater or spoken-word performance experience.
* Age range: 18-45.
* Available for presentations May 28 & 29, 2010 and for a one-week rehearsal period May 22-29, 2010 primarily in the afternoon and evenings.

At the audition:

* Bring Headshot and Resume.
* In addition to dance audition, be prepared to present a brief dance solo showcasing you skills. (Solo may be danced in silence or to music.  You must bring your own CD or iPod with music - accompanist not provided.)
* Prepare a brief monologue not more than two minutes in length.
* Wear clothes that are easy to move in and be prepared to dance barefoot.

To register for the audition, send an e-mail to reeds at playhousesquare.org<mailto:reeds at playhousesquare.org>.

Why I Had to Dance is part of the LAUNCH performance creation residency program<http://www.playhousesquare.org/Education/Education.aspx?ProgramID=23> of the Community Engagement & Education Department at PlayhouseSquare.

Ntozake Shange, poet, novelist and playwright, is best known for her chorepoem "for colored girls who have considered suicide when the rainbow is enuf."  This seminal work had a major impact internationally on theater, women's studies and African American culture.

Dianne McIntyre, awarding-winning choreographer, has frequently collaborated with Ms. Shange.  A Cleveland resident, she creates work for concert dance, theater and film, including Beloved, produced by Oprah Winfrey and Disney.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CABF68.BFC9FC30]