[NEohioPAL] JACKSON COMMUNITY THEATER: Audition!

Michael Gatto mgatto77 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 19 14:17:21 PDT 2010

Jackson Community Theater
AUDITION NOTICE
“Little Shop of Horrors”
Directed by Holly Ellen Roby and Andrew Spaulding
Musical Direction by Holly Ellen Roby, Andrew Spaulding and Julie Lamm

Auditions for all cast members
(Ages 18 and up)
Monday March 22nd 7pm
@
Seifert’s Flower Mill Banquet room
7360 Wales Ave. N.W.
North Canton,OH

Production Dates
May 6,7,8,9,14,15,16,22,23

Please bring a prepared song of 16-30 bars.

You may bring a CD or an accompanist will be provided.
A small reading will be required.

CHARACTER BREAKDOWN:

AUDREY
The
bleached-blond, Billie-Dawn-like, secret love of his life. If you took
Judy Holiday, Carol Channing, Mailyn Monroe and Goldie Hawn, removed
their education and feelings of self-worth, dressed them in spiked
heels and a low-cut black dress, and then shook them all up in a test
tube to extract what's sweetest and most vunerable-that'd be Audrey.

Low A to High D

CRYSTAL,
RONNETTE AND CHIFFON
Three black female street urchins who function as
participants in the action and a Greek Chorus outside it. They’re
young, hip, smart and the only people in the whole cast who REALLY know
what’s going on.
In their “Greek Chorus” capacity, they occassionally
sing to the audience directly. And when they do, it's often with a
"secret-smile" that says: "we know something you don't know."

MR. MUSHNIKTheir boss. A failure of an East Side florist. His accent,
if he has one, is more that of middle class New York than of Eastern
Europe. He seldom smiles but often sweats.
Low G to High E flat

ORINA

Tall, dark, handsome dentist with a black leather jacket and sadistic
tendencies. He is NOT, however, a leftover from the movie version of
GREASE. Think instead of an egotistical pretty-boy — all got up like a
greaser but thinking like an insurance salesman and talking like a
radio announcer. (The actor who plays A Voice not unlike God's, Wino
#2, Customer, Radio Announcer, Mr. Berstein, Mrs. Luce, Skip Snip, and
Patrick Martin.)

SEYMOUR
Mid-twenties and perhaps balding a little. Our insecure, naive,
put-upon, florist’s clerk hero. Above all, he’s a sweet and
well-meaning little man. He is not a silly, pratfalling nerd, and
therefore should not be played as the hero of a Jerry Lewis film.

Low A to High G

THE
PLANT (AUDREY II)
An anthropomorphic cross between a Venus flytrap and
an avocado. It has a huge, nasty-looking pod which gains a shark-like
aspect when open and snapping at food. The creature is played by a
series of four increasing large puppets, manipulated by one Puppeteer.
(Who also plays Wino #1 in the first scene.) The first time we see The
Plant, it is less than one foot tall. The last time we see it, it fills
the entire stage.

VOICE OF THE PLANTProvided by an actor on an offstage microphone. It is
important that this actor have clear visual access to the puppets
onstage, so that he can provide accurate lip-synch. The sound is a
cross between Otis Redding, Barry White, and Wolfman Jack. Think of The
Voice as that of a street-smart, funky, conniving villain — Rhythm and
Blues’ answer to Richard the Third.

--
Holly Ellen Roby
Andrew Spaulding