[NEohioPAL] Hudson Players Continue Popular Run of "City of Angels"

Gary Maher gmaher at windstream.net
Fri May 7 10:59:33 PDT 2010

Hudson Players Production of Jazzy, Award Winning City of Angels Continues
Popular Run

The Hudson Players are currently celebrating their 65th Season with an all
out presentation of City of Angels, the jazzy, award winning musical comedy
that will run through May 22. Tickets are on sale now at
www.HudsonPlayers.com <http://www.hudsonplayers.com/>  and have been  going
fast. In fact, their opening night celebration, which included searchlights,
a cheering crowd and red carpet walk was pretty much sold out to with a very
appreciative crowd.

City of Angels features a book written by Larry Gelbart, music by Cy Coleman
and lyrics by David Zippel. It was the winner of 6 Tony Awards (including
best musical), 12 Drama Desk Awards (including Outstanding Musical), the
1990 Edgar Award for Best Play and 5 Olivier Awards (including Best New
Musical). While all are encouraged to attend, it is not recommended for
children due to its mature subject matter.

"This is a great musical with a good story and music that the audience will
love," said Mark Judy, current Hudson Players President. "With the high
number of awards it won during its original run and the fun presented by its
unique format, we really saw City of Angels as a show that our patrons and
members would love.  When we then add in the hard work of our terrific cast
and crew, we see it as a fantastic capper to our 65th anniversary season."

City of Angels is the rarest of musical comedies; one that is not only
loaded with music and written in the contemporary jazz idiom, but also
filled with sidesplitting comedy. Set in the glamorous, seductive Hollywood
of the 40's, the world of film studios and flimsy negligees, the show
chronicles the misadventures of Stine, a young novelist, attempting a
screenplay for movie producer/director, Buddy Fidler and his alter ego and
book detective character of Stone, prone to decadence and homicide with a
liberal sprinkling of femmes' fatale. The musical weaves together the two
plots into one, while showcasing two distinct musical scores.

City of Angels is being directed by Allen White, with music direction by
Bryan Bird and choreography by Adrienne Scott. The show features Jim Wolf,
Theresa Benyo-Marzullo, Marie LePage, Gary Maher, Tim Steiner, Chanda
Porter, Dale Hudson, Dustin Oliver, Alicia Boulton, Joey Cayabyab, Mark
Moore, Jennifer Davies, Don Mannarino, Tom Cirner, Gary Oliver, Kirk
Worcester, Craig Feldman and Judith Overcash. Performance dates are April
30, May 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 16, 21 & 22. Tickets are $12 and are available now
via the web at www.HudsonPlayers.com <http://www.hudsonplayers.com/>  or by
calling 330-655-8522. Curtain time is 8 p.m., with a special 2 p.m. matinee
on May 16. Group and senior discounts are available.

The Players and Hudson's Restaurant on the Green also continue to offer
their popular Dinner and Show Package featuring dinner at Hudson's and the
show for two for the low price of $59. Details are available via the Hudson
Players box office.

The Hudson Players are located right in the heart of Hudson, Ohio in the
Barlow Community Center and are one of the area's longest running community
theaters currently celebrating their 65th Season. With a rich history of
great shows, community involvement and an ultra-friendly performing
environment the group embodies its unofficial slogan of "good shows, good
friends, good times."