[NEohioPAL] Review of "Grease" at PlayhouseSquare

Bob Abelman r.abelman at adelphia.net
Fri May 14 05:49:48 PDT 2010

'Grease' thrives despite those magic changes

Bob Abelman

News-Herald, Chagrin Valley Times, Solon Times, Geauga Times Courier

Member, International Association of Theatre Critics

This review appeared in the News-Herald 5/14/10

Let's not kid ourselves.  When talk turns to Broadway classics and theater royalty, neither the musical Grease nor anyone associated with it are part of that conversation.

>From the get-go, in 1972, Grease was little more than a fun, slightly raunchy spoof of life in high school in the 1950s.  The 1978 film version of the musical, starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, thrust the show into American popular culture, which sent it on a trajectory toward glitz and pageantry from which it has yet to return or recover.

A long-running Broadway revival that opened in 1994 offered a revolving-door of celebrity appearances, including Richard Gere, Patrick Swayze, Brooke Shields, Sheena Easton and Rosie O'Donnell.

For the 2007 Broadway revival, NBC offered a 12-week reality TV program called Grease: You're the One that I Want, where the winners of a national talent competition assumed the lead roles in the production.

So, it should come as no surprise that the Broadway tour currently on the Palace Theatre stage at PlayhouseSquare includes a cameo appearance by American Idol winner Taylor Hicks, has had several songs from the film added to the playlist, and has sanitized the lyrics in the original songs.

Nor should it come as a disappointment.  Grease always was and continues to be a simple, superficial, feel-good romp that demands nothing from its audience save that it sit back, suspend disbelief, and enjoy the ride.  Expecting more than a good time from a show whose lyrics include "chang chang changity chang shoo bop, that's the way it should be, wah-ooo, yeah" is expecting too much.

No, Grease is not classic theater or great theater or important theater.  But it has the potential to be an absolutely delightful and highly entertaining piece of theater if the cast and the production crew deliver the goods with unabashed enthusiasm and top-notch professionalism.

The national touring company does just that, in spades.  Despite the fact that Cleveland is the end of the road for this tour, this production's ensemble of performers has shown up eager to please, brimming with vitality, and loaded with talent.  From the romantic leads, played by the wonderful Lauren Ashley Zakrin and Josh Franklin, to the supporting characters, to the specialty dancers, everyone has bought into what Grease is all about and they don't hold back.  Everything about the production-the exaggerated, color-saturated scenery, the brazen choreography, the broad acting-is overproduced and absolutely appropriate.

Does the addition of Taylor Hicks add to the quality of this production?  Heaven's no.  In fact, it detracts from it, for he has no stage presence during his one musical number, "Beauty School Dropout," and his very presence on the stage is woefully out of context and distracting.  However, he brings star-quality and box office draw.

Does the addition of the film's songs "Hopelessly Devoted to You," "Grease," "You're The One That I Want" and "Sandy" enrich this production?  Not really.  In fact, they demand a comparison with the film version.  However, these songs are immediately recognizable and have the audience singing along.

Does Grease lower the standards of what a Broadway show and a Broadway touring company should offer?   Perhaps.  But while the original production of Grease never won a Tony, it was the longest running show in Broadway history when it closed.  Although the NBC weekly competition may have cheapened the profession by giving away lead roles to amateurs who had not earned their Actor's Equity stripes, the TV program drew 90 million viewers.

There is one moment in this production where one of the gang is learning to play the guitar and has managed to generate four awkward cords.  As he plays "Those Magic Changes" for his friends, his simple performance morphs into fantasy and the boys find themselves in dramatic lighting, glittery clothing and performing magnificently before adoring and appreciative fans.

That's Grease in a nutshell.

Grease continues through May 23 at PlayhouseSquare's Palace Theatre.  For tickets, which range from $10 to $70, call 216-241-6000 or visit www.playhousesquare.com.