[NEohioPAL] Arts Collinwood Unveils Mural at Waterloo Arts Fest!

Sarah Gyorki sgyorki at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 14 05:32:24 PDT 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:             Sarah Gyorki, Executive Director, s.gyorki at artscollinwood.org
                        Arts Collinwood
                        15605 Waterloo Rd
                        216-692-9500
                        www.artscollinwood.org

Collinwood Picturebook – Unveiled!

Mural Inspired by Art’s Collinwood’s Portfolio Project to be unveiled at the Waterloo Arts Fest June 26, 2010

The middle- and high-school students in Arts Collinwood’s Portfolio Project are definitely going to leave their mark – for the entire city to see.  The students had the opportunity to work with a panel of arts professionals on selecting a new public art installation for the Arts Collinwood Arts Center.   Artist Jake Kelly is known locally for his iconic concert flyers, and murals at both Melt restaurants and The Grog Shop.  His newest creation, entitled  “Collinwood Picturebook” is inspired by the artwork and concepts of Portfolio Project students created this spring in their arts intensive at Arts Collinwood.  The mural will be located on north wall of the arts center, and act as a visible symbol of the value that the arts and arts education have in their community.

Arts Collinwood launched the Portfolio Project in 2009 with a grant from Cuyahoga Arts and Culture.  The goal of the project is to provide youth opportunities to engage in the arts as a profession, working directly with professional artists in media from sketching and painting to photography and videography, and developing a portfolio of work through the process.  That work was displayed in an exhibit at Arts Collinwood Gallery, curated and presented by the students themselves. The students helped draft the call for the mural, and along with artist professionals including Dan Tranberg, Scott Goss, Chris Luciani and Michael Mikula  selected Kelly’s design from a field of proposals.

“This mural is a major commission, and a gift to our community that will last decades, and serve as a constant reminder of what our students can do, what they can help to bring about, when they’re given the support and the tools,” says Executive Director Sarah Gyorki.  “Art has been a powerful force for change in our community, both in the lives of our individual students and in transforming our neighborhoods.  The Waterloo Arts District is an example of that, and the mural these students will participate in will be a major part of our artistic landscape.”

“Collinwood Picturebook” will have an official public unveiling as the kick off for this summer’s 8th Annual Waterloo Arts Fest at 11:45am on Saturday, June 26. The unveiling is free and open to the public.   Limited edition Tshirts will be given away to the first 20 guests.  For more information about the students and their work and the final selection in the mural project, visit www.artscollinwood.org.  For more information about the Waterloo Arts Fest, visit www.WaterlooArtsFest.com.

Arts Collinwood would like to thank Cuyahoga Arts and Culture for making this program, and other valuable arts and culture opportunities, possible for our communities.

Sarah Gyorki
Executive Director
Arts Collinwood
216-692-9500