[NEohioPAL] Tonight, David Ullman FREE in the Alley

The Kent Stage wrfaa at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 11:54:28 PDT 2010

The Kent Stage
Northeast Ohio's Premiere Concert Venue

The Kent Stage
Presents
David Ullman
Live in The Alley

About David:

What others say?
"David's got a really good, earthy, organic quality to his recording, but it's also very professional. His songwriting is very honest. He's got a good sense of humor and very sing-able lines and melodies. "Déjà vu" would stand head to head with any Howie Day or Matt Nathanson tune." -Jana Pochop, Indie-Music.com

"Ullman loosely modulates his voice from pin-drop softness to soul-tearing intensity. [His] music takes the listener to a place inside that's so distinct, it's almost a geographic location." -Theresa Wolfe, LUNA NEGRA MAGAZINE

"David Ullman has crafted an exquisitely beautiful record with his full-length debut, DOG DAYS." -Jeff Niesel, FREE TIMES

"DOG DAYS is deep, dark and intensely rich. Ullman goes straight for the heart. As a result, cuts like "Begin," "Déjà vu," "Half-light," and [the] brilliantly silky, heartbroken "Coming To" simply smolder." -Peter Chakerian COOL CLEVELAND Managing Editor.

"It is clear that this songwriter understands that we're only as good as the obstacles we overcome and if we never question ourselves then we will never grow. Ullman questions everything and [answers] with a steady flowing album sprinkled with clear and inspiring dynamics, sparkling guitars, well placed and perfectly timed background vocals as well as reflective and realistically optimistic lyrics." -Ty Kellogg, former Production Director of Black Squirrel Radio and former President of GTB Entertainment.

What does the website say?

A good album is like a favorite pair of shoes-worn and familiar. In the four years since he first appeared on the Northeast Ohio music scene, David Ullman has soothed many souls with his moody mix of aggressive folk-rock and intimate, introspective "sad-bastard" ballads. Ullman's emotionally intelligent and unabashedly candid debut, DOG DAYS was deemed "exquisitely beautiful" by SCENE music editor Jeff Niesel and praised by COOL CLEVELAND'S Peter Chakerian as "deep, dark and intensely rich."  The scruffy singer-songwriter's latest release, the aptly-titled "Secondhand," continues the conversation started on his full-length release. Featuring an all-new mix of the title track, the "Secondhand" EP also includes the understated acoustic ballad "Start Anew"as well as two outtakes from the DOG DAYS sessions: "Safe" and "Who Cares."Ullman is a true romantic who wears his "secondhand heart" on his sleeve while managing not to seem cloying or cliché. "I grew
 up fast, got married young... divorced soon-after," the 30-year-old Clevelander said recently. "I had a lot to process after moving back from North Carolina, where I had been living with my then wife and two dogs. After demoing a few songs while I was crashing in my parents' basement, I cashed in my life insurance for a Martin LXK2, bought some recording gear, and started writing and recording DOG DAYS."Building a fan base one passionate, furrow-browed performance at a time, Ullman began playing clubs, coffeehouses and bars in and around Kent, Ohio while finishing college and working nights in a factory. He's since left both factory and college life behind, taking his tattered green Doc Martins and his bloody, battered acoustic guitar on the road from Duluth and Chicago to Philadelphia and New York City.While still frequenting Cleveland-area folk-clubs and cafes, Ullman also alternates between opening for acts local (Zach) and national (Rusted Root) at
 clubs, theaters and colleges and headlining venues like Akron's Musica.Regardless of the setting, Ullman's most valuable asset is his ability to relate to his audience. Anyone who has ever attempted a relationship can relate to the extreme highs, the obliterating lows and the hazy in betweens that he hits in his songs. Slightly gravelly vocals that crescendo from the barest whisper to a barely-controlled roar, lend his earnest and raw confessions a grace and sincerity that is seldom seen in music today.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming events

Pieta Brown: (POSTPONED to Oct. 23th)
 Diamond Dogs: June 26 Great David Bowie Tribute

Farewell Drifters: July 3 (FREE)
Hot new band playing during Kent's Heritage Fest

Mary Chapin Carpenter: July 10
Kent Blues Festival: July 23 & 24
Two huge nights of Blues!
Eric Noden and Friends: Friday July 23 - FREE
James Cotton and Guy Davis: Saturday July 24
 Brandi Carlile: July 25 - SOLD-OUT

Jonah Koslen's Stage Pass NOW: July 30
Update of MSB's Classic Album!

 Smokin' Fez Monkey's: Aug 7

 YOSO: Aug. 19
Lead Singer of TOTO and members of YES!
  The Numbers Band: Aug.21
40th Anniversary Celebration!

Click here for more information!

MORE  ANNOUNCEMENTS SOON! 8P.M. - FREETonight,Thursday June 17th

Location & Ticket Info

The Kent Stage is located at 175 East Main Street in downtown Kent, Ohio.  There is FREE parking behind the theater and on all city streets after 6PM.  Tickets are available 24-hours a day at www.kentstage.org or call 1-800-595-4849. After initial on-line sales, Woodsy's Music and Spin-More Records go on sale.  If not sold-out, tickets also be available at the door.  Doors open one hour before concert.  If you have any questions please email us at wrfaa at yahoo.com  or tom at kentstage.org  or call 330-677-5005.

Friends of The Kent Stage | 175 East Main Street | Kent | OH | 44240