[NEohioPAL] Commentary on Summer Theater

Bob Abelman r.abelman at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 2 08:54:44 PDT 2010

Desperate times call for dramatic measures

Bob Abelman

News-Herald, Chagrin Valley Times, Solon Times, Geauga Times Courier

Member, International Association of Theatre Critics

This article appeared in the News-Herald 7/2/10

These are interesting times.

We live immersed in an era when old economic paradigms are collapsing, world-wide political radicalism is increasing, unemployment is staggering, and environmental devastation is escalating.

We exist during a U.S. administration grounded in hope and change, an age of astounding technological innovation that socially connects while it physically isolates, and a time of unprecedented access to information.

We are so immersed that it is often difficult to find the energy and incentive to step outside of ourselves and put life into perspective.  To reflect.

So how can we contemplate the events of our times and their potential consequences?  How can we see our problems and prospects as part of a bigger picture?  How can we go about the healthy exercise of placing everyday things within the context of the human condition?

Go see some theater.  Storytelling facilitates perspective-taking.  It always has.  Unfortunately, most forms of modern day storytelling-our news and our mass mediated entertainment-fail to adequately do so.

Much of our news appears to be biased beyond recognition or so governed by the economics of audience size that it reflects only the latest trends.

Our mainstream films and television programs, as popular, prevalent and commercial as ever, have no voice at all and are largely escapist fare.

Fewer people are turning to books.

The Internet, an increasingly dominant source for news and entertainment, is in its infancy and still trying to find its voice, vision and validity.

Of course, there are extraordinary exceptions, but they are few and far between.

By and large, theatre still offers the prospect of reflection and the potential to witness intriguing, independent thought, particularly in the smaller venues such as Cleveland Public Theatre, Convergence Continuum, and the new None Too Fragile Theatre.

Why?  Because there's no real money to be made in these theaters.  There is no economic value in exploiting this art form, resulting in no corporate control and no vested special interests telling them what they can or cannot do or express.  And, though it's certainly a little disheartening to be a non-populist art form in the vast American cultural landscape, the upside is this ability to present work that is original, occasionally disturbing and always thought-provoking.  Go see these plays.

Should this form of storytelling venture too far outside our comfort zone or area code, most local theaters offer dramatic productions as part of their season's repertoire that might also do the trick, albeit in a softer and more palatable manner.

For example, amidst its array of delightful offerings, including On Golden Pond, The Light in the Piazza and My Way: A Musical Tribute to Frank Sinatra, Rabbit Run Theater just presented an impressive rendition of Peter Morgan's dramatic Frost/Nixon.

In addition to offering some fine acting by David Malinowski as Frost and Christopher Fortunato as Nixon, this fact-based piece of fiction provided insightful commentary on spin versus substance in the political arena.

It also cooks up food for thought regarding the power of the press in influencing the legacy of our leaders.  The play takes place in the 1970s, but addresses issues quite relevant today.

Unfortunately, dramatic works typically fare worse in the box office than do comedies and musicals at playhouses like Rabbit Run.  While Frost/Nixon sold close to 65 percent of capacity, comedies typically sell at 75 percent to 85 percent and musicals sell at 85 percent to 95 percent.

Understandably, summer-season theater goers most frequently choose their theater experiences for their entertainment value rather than their potential to inspire deep thinking, critical analysis and reflection.

However, should the next season prove to be one of discontent, innovative and thought-provoking theater is always within reach.  Desperate times may call for dramatic measures.