[NEohioPAL] Support an artist: fund raising for a pianist

Brian Del Bianco ilbasso at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 09:43:40 PDT 2010

Student loans and part time jobs worked for a great deal of us.

It was my experience in school that the music schools will fall over themselves to keep their star performers from having to do anything other than practice.  Those of us that were actually going to school because we needed to learn were forced to take lousy PT jobs and press local orchestras for work while the full scholarships went to people who could already go out and win jobs.  Backwards!

Can you shed some light onto what the funds are needed for?  If somebody is on a "top scholarship" from CIM, I am having difficulty seeing what an addition $20,000 could be for.  I am assuming that he has access to the best pianos at CIM and doesn't have to worry about transporting one to gigs-is the top scholarship at CIM less than a full ride?

It is certainly worth a shot to try for this and I would not be surprised if you were able to meet your goals, but that seems like a very high dollar amount to request.

My cynical reaction was: if he is winning all of these competitions and playing with orchestras all over the world already and needs $20,000 so that he can get a diploma...to go and win competitions and play with orchestras all over the world, then something is seeming a little off.

Good luck in your efforts.