[NEohioPAL] Unsolicited Testimonial re: FPAC

Noah Budin nbudin at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 19 06:44:47 PDT 2010

Full disclosure: This is not a review. This is biased. I do not have a child attending FPAC nor am I associated in any way professionally. I do have friends who work and administer this wonderful program. (I told you it was biased.)

I had the privilege to attend the final performance of FPAC's "Children of Eden." For those of you who missed it, too bad. You don't get to see theatrical accomplishments such as that very often.

This production was part of a summer program. The cast consisted of actors ranging in age from about 7 to adult. There was not one weak link among them. It was a joy to watch the absolute professionalism that every single one of them brought to that stage. They were all engaged in the action on stage and living in the moment. There was not a false note (musical or otherwise) or a missed step. The acting was superb from the smallest cast member to the teens to the professional actors. This is a testament to FPAC's program and to Fred Sternfeld, the director of this show and the program.

Those of you who have worked with Fred know that he's an "actor's director." He knows how to bring truth to the stage. He will bring out the best in you by leading you to discoveries and teaching you how to mine the text for for subtext, nuance and reality. This was abundantly apparent in this difficult show. The material could easily come off as stilted, stale and forced. None of it did. It was a joy to watch.

The entire effort was a success from the choreography by Bebe Weinberg Katz to the set and lights by Ben Needham, costumes, stage management...there was not one missed step.

Remember: this is basically a summer camp production. This is phenomenal. It is way above and beyond a typical summer camp production. Even summer theater camp. Any young aspiring actor should consider this program. Many have and have go on to successful professional careers.

This was my firs exposure to "Children of Eden," but I think it was summed up best by a comment I heard during intermission from an audience member: "I've seen twenty-five different productions of this show, including on Broadway, and this is by far the best on I've ever seen."

Congratulations to Tom and Fred and all of the staff at FPAC. You are serving our community well.

Noah Budin
www.noahbudin.com
noahbudinsongs.blogspot.com