[NEohioPAL] Review of "Bye Bye Birdie" at Porthouse Theatre

ALICE GULICK ajgulick at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 30 08:14:33 PDT 2010

Thanks for the nice, apt review. I take issue, however, with the
statement that the show is "void of social commentary, political
undertones or religious symbolism. " I play a truly-bigoted character,
whose many anti-this or -that pronouncements are received as being
preposterous because Mae is. Having heard several audiences almost-boo
my anti-Latino remarks, I have come to the conclusion that the show's
writers were pretty clever when they put a load of Zeneophobic bad-
mouthing  in the mouth of "Mae."

Similarly, but with more gentleness, I think the character of Mr.
MacAfee nails the conservative late-1950's American middle-class
paterfamilias -- pompously trying to command his family's respect one
minute, then abandoning all principal (and losing all credibility)
when he tries to steal the limelight not only from his own daughter,
but from the rock star whom he has previously criticized.

Just sayin'. And maybe these social comments are so gentle that I only
noticed them after several performances.
Best, Lissy