[NEohioPAL] Review: Macbeth, Chautauqua

Lawrence Seman lseman00 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 07:05:18 PDT 2010

Review
Macbeth
Chautauqua

King James (not the South Beach one) was on the English throne when "Macbeth" originally played circa 1611. There is some speculation that James had more than a passing interest in the occult and old Will was happy to oblige his sovereign's quirky tastes with a play that included witches, prophesies, and the like. The result has been cataloged as one of the great tragic tales of assassination, murder, and mayhem which swirls around an overly ambitious quest for power as the ultimate honor.

At the time the play was written and for many years in advance there was a very real belief that the minions of the netherworld roamed about the earth looking for souls to take back to their master's lair of fire and brimstone. Part of this outlook embraced the principle of "correspondence" which posited that every created thing is linked to every other created thing by a powerful psychic force. In effect if one would disturb one element in the carefully balanced whole it would send shock waves through the rest of creation; but not in a random chaos, as the tremors of these disruptive actions would be in predictable patterns that could be foretold by soothsayers and their ilk.

>From time to time over the centuries the "Scottish" play has been perceived as a political allegory. One of the more famous efforts occurred in New York in 1849 when the
English actor William Charles Macready played the title role at the Astor Place Opera House. The venue was then considered the preferred theatre of the City elite and so it seriously ticked off the nationalistic Americans who claimed the Bard as one of their democratic friends. At the same time a plebeian-friendly American actor, Edwin Forrest began playing the role at the less posh Broadway Theater. Apparently there was a bit more than a professional rivalry at stake as reports of genuine bad blood between the two actors became common knowledge. All the catcalling finally came to a head on May 7 when a full scale riot of Forrest supporters broke out at the Astor chasing Macready off the stage and trashing the place.

Whatever your political bent it is useful to understand that Macbeth is not your traditional morality play but an intense study on the effects of evil on the human mind. That dark powers do not predetermine Macbeth's behavior but do influence the external conditions of his choices leaves us with a clear observation that his conscience is calling but he chooses to take the alternative course of action.

At Chautauqua King Duncan was played by the lone professional actor in this cast. Sorry but I'm not going to write about the efforts of students who did give it their all. However I will say that several people left at the the intermission and several more in the middle of the second act.Enough said.

Larry Seman

p.s. I would be remiss without saying a sincere "thanks" to Fred for allowing me to share my summer travel experiences. Also the feedback I received was very much appreciated and I gained a new appreciation for the performing talent at our doorsteps. In David Mamet's controversial new book "Theatre" he recalls that from time to time the theatre patron may see a low budget local show that seems to be of better quality than a glitzy production of the same play in a high priced venue. He assures us that it seems as so because it is.

p.p.s. A little bird from Stratford sent me an email to say the powers that be at the Festival are going to film Christopher Plummer in "The Tempest". To date that's all I know.
Very best to all for the new season!

Larry