[NEohioPAL] Hudson Players Announce 66th Season!

Gary Maher gmaher at windstream.net
Mon Aug 23 07:24:45 PDT 2010

Hudson Players Announce Their 66th Season

Hudson’s Community Theater Announces Schedule for 2010-11. Season Tickets
Now Available!

The Hudson Players, are currently in their 66th season of bringing great
theater to the Hudson area and this year promises to be better then ever as
the theater officially announces their 66th season on the heels of being
named ‘Best Theater Group’ by the Fox 8 Hot List for the Akron/Canton area.
The season brings a great fast paced comedy/farce in the tradition of “Lend
Me A Tenor”, an upbeat, 70’s musical flashback that sure to bring a smile to
everyone’s face with songs you’ll know and love, and a fresh from Broadway
smash hit in one of the first community theater productions in the area. In
addition, they return a holiday classic in radio show format that sure to
get everyone in the Christmas spirit. (Season Tickets are currently
available at www.hudsonplayers.com)

“The Hudson area is a great supporter of the arts and we are looking forward
to a great season,” says Tim Steiner, Hudson Players president. “With a
dinner and show package available in conjunction with Hudson’s Restaurant
and our great season ticket package delivering our three main shows for the
price of two, we continue our goal of bringing affordable, quality theater
to the Hudson area. Although we have been around for over 65 years, we are
pleased that more and more residents discover us each year and realize the
great entertainment to be found in their own town.”

Steiner adds that the players also work with many of the restaurants in the
community to host after show receptions and that the players also host many
group outings and fundraisers with onsite meeting rooms and group ticket
rates.

The 66th Season will start out with “Moon Over Buffalo”, a madcap comedy in
the tradition of “Lend Me a Tenor” being presented November 5, 6, 12, 13, 19
& 20, 2010 and directed by Bob McCoy. This hilarious comedy centers on
George and Charlotte Hay, fading stars of repertory theatre in 1950's
Buffalo. The couple has just lost their last chance at stardom and to make
matters worse, their agent is smitten with Charlotte and the company ingénue
is pregnant by George. Add to the mix an almost deaf grandmother/costume
mistress and a forgetful weatherman/fiancée and the fun starts rolling! When
the agent calls to say Frank Capra will be attending the matinee (one last
shot at fame), we discover George is missing and the company can't figure
out if it's playing Private Lives or Cyrano de Bergerac. The plot is full of
misunderstandings, misplaced affections, people hiding in closets,
half-dressed actors, mistaken identities, mass confusion and missing
persons.

Next up is a return of the Hudson Players special holiday production of
“It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play” to be presented December 17, 18 &
19, 2010 and directed by John Haller. This beloved American holiday classic
comes to captivating life as a live 1940’s radio broadcast. With the help of
an ensemble that brings a few dozen characters to the stage, the store of
idealistic George Bailey unfolds as he considers ending his life one fateful
Christmas Eve. This show was a favorite of many attendees last year and the
Hudson Players production was honored by the Ohio Community Theater
association and selected to excerpt at their state convention. It’s a not to
be missed holiday classic. Also, while not part of the season ticket
package, season ticket holders will receive reduced rates on attendance at
this great event.

Following will be a production of the upbeat, fun musical “Have A Nice Day!”
(from the same author who put together An Evening with The Taffeta’s and
Cardigans) to be presented February 4, 5, 11, 12, 18, 19, 20, 25 & 26, 2011.
This is quite simply a musical about having fun! A not too subtle spoof of
“Up With People” the show is actually a performance by the fictional singing
group ‘Have A Nice Dayers’, who are singing to try and “save the world from
a bummer day” and promote the dangers of “free love” and “flower power”.  On
their final farewell performance after having spent the better part of the
last five years “helping America smile”, they perform songs we all know from
1968 thru 1974. Bringing to life a lot of songs we thought we forgot (such
as ‘Convoy’, ‘I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing,’ ‘It’s Not Easy Being
Green,’ ‘Sunshine Day,’ ‘Let the Sun Shine,’ ‘Ticket to Ride,’ ‘ You’ve Got
a Friend,’ and more), “Have A Nice Day!” is a great musical piece of
psychedelic bubble gum.

Finally the Hudson Players 66th season will finish up with a production of
the fresh off broadway smash hit “The Drowsy Chaparone.” Running April 29,
30, May 6, 7, 13, 14, 15, 20 & 21 of 2011, This comedy with music received
13 Tony nominations and 5 Tony Awards including best book of a musical. The
Hudson Players are pleased to be presenting one of the areas first community
theater productions of a musical that in one reviewers opinion serves as “an
homage to the melodic, slapsticky musicals of the 1920s, and emits enough
intoxicating charm for just about anyone to get drunk on.” It all begins
when a die-hard musical fan invites you into his living room and plays his
favorite cast album, a 1928 hit called ‘The Drowsy Chaperone’. As he begins
listening to the rare cast recording, the show cleverly and magically blooms
to life, telling the hilarious tale of a pampered starlet and her debonair
fiancé, an overzealous producer, a dizzy chorine, the Latin lover and a
couple of bumbling gangsters. Ruses are played, hi-jinks occur and the plot
spins everyone into musical comedy euphoria. In a final thought, one
reviewer summed it up this way: “I'm not sure if hilarious is an apt enough
word to describe this show. It is sweet, gentle, nostalgic, loving, funny,
and funny and funny.  I guess you'd have to call it hilarious or even
hysterical at times.”

Single show tickets are only $14 each with group, senior and student
discounts available. Fundraising opportunities are also available for
interested organizations along with group rates. Season sponsors are still
being welcomed.

More immediately, SEASON TICKETS are now available and promise a great deal
with season subscribers being offered three shows for the price of two.
That’s a $42 value for $28. Season tickets can be purchased via the website
at  <http://www.hudsonplayers.com> www.hudsonplayers.com or by calling
330-655-8522. Subscribers get a single ticket to each show, and are able to
pick their seats in advance and get free exchanges to accommodate schedule
changes.They also get discounted tickets to “It’s A Wonderful Life: A Live
Radio Play”. The Players also offer season Dinner and Show Packages in
conjunctions with Hudson’s Restaurant. These tickets must be purchased via
the phone at 330-655-8522. It’s a great way to support the arts, see great
shows and save money all at the same time.

The Hudson Players are an all volunteer non-profit community theater
organization and one of the longest running theater troupes in the area.
Volunteers are always welcome to assist with a variety of tasks including
publicity, poster distribution, set building, costumes and more. Auditions
to their shows are open to all with no restrictions. Please send an email to
<mailto:info at hudsonplayers.com> info at hudsonplayers.com if interested or call
330-655-8522.

Additional information is available at www.hudsonplayers.com.