[NEohioPAL] 2 Voice Over Stories- 1 Happy & 1 Sad, with Useful Tips!

Jean Zarzour lipschtick at lipschtick.com
Fri Aug 27 14:28:15 PDT 2010

*Hello Voicies!* It's been a great summer, full of really interesting jobs *(a
feature film, a TV commercial, an internet spokesperson gig and voice overs)
*and fulfilling teaching assignments, from Cleveland to Pittsburgh.
<http://www.donnabelajaccasting.com>I hope the same is true for you.  *

**Find Your Voice
<http://findyourvoice-voiceactinginstitute.blogspot.com>*is going
strong, and this September marks my 4th year of teaching and
producing voice over demos, under the *Find Your
Voice<http://findyourvoice-voiceactinginstitute.blogspot.com>
*name. I'm tickled about that and so proud of the hundreds of students I've
had the honor to work with. You can hear many of them on TV and Radio!* *Recent
Congrats go out to: Jim M., Tony L., Susan W., Beth S., Mike M., Neal K.,
Ryan S., Karen S., Jimmy C.  *
**
Just this morning, I was filled with both glee and frustration with 2 phone
calls, 10 minutes apart.  *In each story, there is a little something for
your *"TIP Jar" *as you build your acting career.
*
The 1st Call *was from my agent, saying that I booked a voice over gig for
next week! Yipee! I'm even happier because it's a 2 person spot as husband
and wife. Lots of opportunity to "play" there.*

While many other talent would have been just as "right" for the job, there
are a few reasons why my scene partner and I booked the job.
Here are 2 reasons:

**1.*  Instead of just auditioning by myself, doing *only* my lines, I took
the time to contact another actor who was scheduled to do the audition
asthe husband and did the audition with him.  This practice of solo
auditions
on 2 person spots has become more common and it drives me nuts, so I manage
to work around it by contacting another actor who is scheduled to do the
audition, and did it WITH him. My agent didn't mind because it helped them
get both talent bookings out of their agency. Sometimes

*2.* The other actor happens to be someone I have worked with many times, on
very funny, character-driven spots and industrials. We had a ball! Not only
did we do the spot as written for 2 funny characters, we kicked it up a
notch and did another take as Marge and Homer Simpson, as well! *

TIP- Make them laugh by doing something fun and unexpected! *My agent told
me that the client hired us because we were so much fun. The really funny
part is that we're not even going to record the spot as broad characters.
We're going to record the spot as a real couple. Darn! No big blue hair!*

The 2nd Call *was from a former student who called to tell me that he just
did his first VO job! It was a PSA (Public Service Announcement) and he was
thrilled!  The only problem is* HE DIDN'T GET PAID!! *** *I thought my head
was going to **EXPLODE!** * I almost composed myself and reminded him: *"If
you're right for the part, you're right for the PAY!"* There is a Union rate
for PSA's. If you aren't in a Union, *(AFTRA <http://www.aftra.org> or
SAG<http://www.sag.org>
)*, you should be charging at least the Union *Session Fee*, considering you
won't get any residual pay from future broadcast cycles of the spot.*

TIP - **"If you're right for the part, you're right for the PAY!"** *Remind
yourself that *A.* when you do any VO work for NO PAY, you rob yourself and
every other VO talent out there. SOMEONE should get paid, no matter how
inexperienced. Why not you? *B.* You set a precidence that you will work for
NO PAY and will always get the same, NO PAY gigs from that client in the
future.
*
**If these stories sound familiar, I'm both happy and sad for you.* *

Stay HAPPY! **Call 216-521-3831 *to register for** the next* **Voice Acting
Class & Marketing Seminar, September 1-October
20*<http://findyourvoice-voiceactinginstitute.blogspot.com>.
**

*Your "TIP Jar" will be full and you'll get work in the Voice Over Industry!
*

    *Jean Zarzour*
<http://www.lipschtick.com/>
Find Your Voice-Voice Acting
Institute<http://findyourvoice-voiceactinginstitute.blogspot.com/>Technique
For When You Speak! TV- Radio-Live Presentations.
216-521-3831
**

VO Classes - CLEVE:* **********Wednesday's Sept 1-Oct 20
*<http://www.findyourvoice-voiceactinginstitute.blogspot.com/>
* & PITTS: Thursday's Sept. 30-Nov.
18*<http://www.findyourvoice-voiceactinginstitute.blogspot.com/>
**

***Find Your Voice & Market It! Lakewood,Oh 11am-4pm, Sunday, Sept 12.
11am-4pm* <http://findyourvoice-voiceactinginstitute.blogspot.com/>
*

Also Founder of~
*Lipschtick <http://www.lipschtick.com/>*Putting the SHOW in BUSINESS
Nationwide Since 1989!* <http:///>
* <http://lipschtickblog.blogspot.com/>***

*LinkedIn Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeanzarzour>*

* <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeanzarzour>Now Casting
Profile<http://jeanzarzour.nowcasting.com/>
*

Lipschtick Blog <http://www.lipschtickblog.blogspot.com/>
<http://findyourvoice-voiceactinginstitute.blogspot.com/>

Find Your Voice Blog<http://findyourvoice-voiceactinginstitute.blogspot.com/>
 <http://findyourvoice-voiceactinginstitute.blogspot.com/>*What's New~*

    ** **

*Jean appears opposite Jake Gyllenhaal & Hank Azaria in Love and Other
Drugs<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758752/>,
in theaters, Nov. 2010!*

 <http://www.lipschtick.com/>