[NEohioPAL] September Art Exhibit at the Ashtabula Arts Center features Textile Art by Rosemary Humphrey

Pamela Hammond aac at ashartscenter.org
Wed Sep 8 08:04:34 PDT 2010

Pamela Hammond
Public Relations/Marketing Coordinator
Ashtabula Arts Center
Phone/Fax: 440.964.3396
aac at ashartscenter.org
----- Original Message -----
From: Ashtabula Arts Center
To: aac at ashartscenter.org

                 Our September Art Exhibit
                         will feature
                        "What If"
                        Textile Art
                        by Rosemary Humphrey

                        Join Our Mailing List!
                 On display September 3 - 27th

                            My first experience with quilting resulted in a vest I wore proudly as a guest to a quilting guild in Florida.  One member commented on the flowers made from a book by Kumiko Sudo and as she looked at the garment more closely she said "You didn't bury your knots." Harrumph!  Not only was I clueless as to what she was telling me, I found that when I learned proper technique, I couldn't care less.
                            My approach to fiber arts is summed up in two words--"What if?"  Shopping in thrift stores, hardware stores, walking the beach and woods provides a never ending supply of embellishments.  This exhibit inclues jackets made from matress pads, tablecloths, original silk screen works of art, Yukata from Japan and hand painted art from an unknown Masai woman.
                            Each item of wearable art started with one main piece of fabric and a "what if" idea.  The fun for me is the "auditioning" process where many fabrics are pinned to a design wall and colors, textures and patterns are chosen sometimes instantaniously and sometimes after months of thought.
                            Thinking outside the box has brought a quirky tongue in cheek element to my work and conversely to my view of the world as a senior citizen."

                        --Rosemary Humphrey

                        Gallery Hours

                        Mon. through Thurs.
                         9 - 8
                         Fri. and Sat.
                        9 - 4
                        The gallery is also open before all theater performances and during intermission. Admission to the gallery is free.

                        Ashtabula Arts Center
                        2928 West 13th Street
                         Ashtabula OH 44004
                        aac at ashartscenter.org
                        www.ashartscenter.org
                        www.artscenternews.com

      Forward email

            This email was sent to aac at ashartscenter.org by aac at ashartscenter.org.
            Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribeT | Privacy Policy. Email Marketing by

      Ashtabula Arts Center | aac at ashartscenter.org | 2928 W. 13th Street | Ashtabula | OH | 44004