[NEohioPAL] Free Preview Performances of Puss in Boots at PlayhouseSquare Sept. 18

Cindi Szymanski Cindi at playhousesquare.org
Wed Sep 8 13:53:57 PDT 2010

New York Arts Organizations Choose PlayhouseSquare
As Site for Final Rehearsals and Previews of Ground-Breaking
New Work for Young Audiences

-Free preview performances of Puss in Boots (El gato con botas) to be given
in English and in Spanish on Saturday, September 18-

Cleveland, OH - New York's Gotham Chamber Opera and Tectonic Theater Project will spend two weeks at PlayhouseSquare in September, to finalize and rehearse their production of Puss in Boots (El gato con botas) before premiering the show in New York City.  Written by Catalonian composer Xavier Montsalvatge, this opera is conducted by Neal Goren (founder of Gotham Chamber Opera), directed by Moises Kaufman (founder of Tectonic Theater Project) and produced in association with Blind Summit Theatre, puppet masters of London. Eleven local musicians will work with the companies while they are in Cleveland.

"One of our goals is to support the development of new work for young audiences," explained Colleen Porter, director of community engagement and education at PlayhouseSquare. "I was drawn to this particular project because of the world-renowned caliber of the companies involved and the unique quality of the work itself.  This piece brings theater, puppetry, opera and live music together, and that's unheard of in a production meant for children.  I have great respect for the intelligence of children and their ability to appreciate works of art.  It's important for me to support and present productions that show that same respect, like this one does."

Members of the public are invited to attend free preview performances of Puss in Boots (El gato con botas), which is appropriate for children age seven and older, on Saturday, September 18 at 11 a.m. (English) and 2 p.m. (Spanish).  Free tickets are available online at playhousesquare.org/boots or at the PlayhouseSquare Ticket Office (1519 Euclid Ave.).

About Puss in Boots (El gato con botas)
Puss, a charismatic kitty with cunning wit and irresistible Latin charm, promises a poor miller everlasting love and fortune. All the cat needs to pull of his trick are a hat, a cape and a purr-fect pair of boots!  This ravishing new production of a grand, melodic score and libretto transforms a favorite fairy tale into an heroic and humorous rags-to-riches adventure. As a cast of five singers provides the vocals, stunning puppets fill the stage. With performances in both the original Spanish and English translation, this production is the cat's meow!

PlayhouseSquare understands its vital role as an educator in our community, and is committed to providing arts learning opportunities of the highest quality to enrich the lives of students, families, teachers and adults. PlayhouseSquare's Community Engagement & Education Department is unique in the performing arts industry for the variety of programs it offers, the partnerships it initiates and the access it provides students, educators and aspiring artists to performing arts professionals. Since its inception in 1998, the Community Engagement & Education Department has offered thousands of events, workshops, classes and more, most with minimal or no fees, to people of all ages from all areas of Northeast Ohio. The generous support of individual and corporate donors and foundations makes it all possible.

About Gotham Chamber Opera
Praised by The New York Times as "the pre-eminent small opera company in New York," Gotham Chamber Opera presents vibrant productions of intimately scaled works, from the Baroque era to the present, that are generally overlooked in traditional opera houses but offer audiences immediate, involving, and powerful music theater.

About Tectonic Theater Project
Tectonic Theater Project is an award-winning company whose plays have been performed around the world.  The company is dedicated to developing innovative works that explore theatrical language and form, fostering an artistic dialogue with our audiences on the social, political and human issues that affect us all.  In service to this goal, Tectonic supports readings, workshops, and full theatrical productions, as well as training for students around the country in our play-making techniques. Tectonic Theater Project was founded in 1991 by Moisés Kaufman and Jeffrey LaHoste.  Tectonic refers to the art and science of structure and was chosen to emphasize the company's interest in construction-- how things are made, and how they might be made differently. Its ground-breaking plays, THE LARAMIE PROJECT, GROSS INDECENCY: THE THREE TRIALS OF OSCAR WILDE, and I AM MY OWN WIFE, have sparked national discourse about their subjects and have inspired artists and audiences worldwide.

About Blind Summit Theatre

Blind Summit Theatre was founded in 1997 by Nick Barnes and Mark Down to make new plays with puppets for adult audiences.

###

PlayhouseSquare is a not-for-profit performing arts center whose mission is presenting and producing a wide variety of quality performing arts, advancing arts education and creating a destination that is a superior location for entertainment, business and housing, thereby strengthening the economic vitality of the region.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CB4F76.6D0BB490]