[NEohioPAL] Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Ghosts, Goblins and more! - October Events at CVLT

Chagrin Valley Little Theatre cvlt at cvlt.org
Fri Oct 1 11:44:26 PDT 2010

Trouble viewing this email? See it on the web at
http://www.cvlt.org/monthlymail.htm <http://www.cvlt.org/monthlymail.htm>

  _Chagrin Valley Little Theatre
  October 2010 Updates _

www.CVLT.org <http://www.CVLT.org> . 440-247-8955
40 River Street, Chagrin Falls OH 44022

facebook.com/ChagrinTheatre <http://facebook.com/ChagrinTheatre>
twitter.com/ChagrinTheatre <http://twitter.com/ChagrinTheatre>

    * *Happening in October...*
          o *October 13 - 16 - Chagrin Documentary Film Festival
            <http://www.ChagrinDocumentaryFilmfestival.org>*
          o *October 15 - 30* - /*"DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE*
            <http://cvlt.org/81stSeason/jekyllandhyde.php>/" (You could
            win tickets and dinner!)
          o *October 24 & 25 - "Ghosts, Goblins & Gobbledygook"
            <http://www.cvlt.org/81stSeason/ghostsgoblins.php>*
          o * October 29 - November 13* - /*"THE LAST FIVE YEARS*
            <http://cvlt.org/81stSeason/lastfiveyears.php>/"
    * *Coming soon...*
          o /*Backstage With...Tim Conway*/, a production of WVIZ/PBS
            ideastream and Playhouse Square in partnership with CVLT,
            will be nationally televised in November - watch our website
            <http://www.cvlt.org>, or join us on Facebook
            <http://www.facebook.com/ChagrinTheatre>/Twitter
            <http://www.twitter.com/ChagrinTheatre> for specifics when
            they are announced.
          o Auditions for /"Bloody Murder/" (November 14 / 15)

    */
    Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
    <http://cvlt.org/81stSeason/jekyllandhyde.php>/*

*Fridays & Saturdays at 8
October 15 - 30
Sunday, October 17 at 2 *

*A Drama by Jeffrey Hatcher
Directed by Daniel Takacs *

*TICKETS: *$16, $12 student/senior

*Buy tickets online at
CVLT.org/81stSeason/jekyllandhyde.php
<http://cvlt.org/81stSeason/jekyllandhyde.php>
or call 440-247-8955*

Just in time for the Halloween season, CVLT presents Jeffrey Hatcher's
drama /Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde/, an inventive adaptation of the 1886
Robert Louis Stevenson tale which premiered in 2008 and was nominated by
the Mystery Writers of America for an "Edgar Award" for Best Play.

/Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde/ is an examination of the gray area between
good and evil. Dr. Henry Jekyll (played by Dale Van Niel) is a
gentlemanly scientist who takes a special concoction he's created that
turns him into the vile criminal Mr. Edward Hyde, a man free to commit
the sins that Jekyll himself is too reserved to comprehend. Dr. Jekyll
becomes increasingly conflicted and unbalanced while discovering the
frightening truth behind his black-outs and the experimental drugs that
cause them.

Meanwhile, the affection denied to Dr. Jekyll falls to Hyde (played at
varying moments in the play by Craig Gifford, Tiffany Ricci, Jerry
Schaber and Clay Von Carlowitz). He is loved by the bold Elizabeth (Leah
Frires), who loves the creature in spite of the evil she knows he is
guilty of. Jekyll's struggle to save his research, convert Elizabeth to
his own, and separate himself from the creature he has increasingly
become turns into a cat-and-mouse game that leaves the audience to
question just which side of the man they should be rooting for.

    */
    The Last Five Years <http://cvlt.org/81stSeason/lastfiveyears.php>/*

*Fridays & Saturdays at 8
October 29 - November 13 *

at CVLT's River Street Playhouse <http://www.cvlt.org/riverstreet.php>
56 River Street, adjacent to the main building

*Directed by Jacqi Loewy
Accompanied by Dan Kamionkowski*

*TICKETS: *$10
(not recommended for younger audiences)

*Buy tickets online at
CVLT.org/81stSeason/lastfiveyears.php
<http://www.cvlt.org/81stSeason/lastfiveyears.php>*
or call 440-247-8955

 From Jason Robert Brown, the Tony Award winning composer behind
/Parade/, /Songs for a New World/, /Urban Cowboy/ and /13/, comes this
intimate musical about the rise and fall of a modern relationship,
performed with two actors and a piano in CVLT's smaller River Street
Playhouse venue.

Jamie Wellerstein (Andrew Rothman) is an up-and-coming novelist who left
Columbia U. to pursue his literary career in NYC. Cathy Hiatt (Rebecca
Marks) is a struggling theater actress from New Jersey. Their story is,
at face value, a classic arc; Jewish boy meets Catholic girl, they fall
in love, marry, and eventually fall apart.

But in /The Last Five Years/, the composer lays our his story through an
unusual twisting of the timeline; Cathy tells her side of the
relationship starting with the post-mortem, while Jamie begins his
telling of the story with the first date. The two characters move in
opposite directions through time, alternating dove-tailed solo musical
performances, only meeting to sing as a duo at their engagement and
wedding in the middle of the tale. The unique bi-directional
storytelling style balances the soaring highs of fresh love with the
crushing lows of the breakup through fifteen memorable songs.

*Win Dinner and Tickets!*

CVLT is partnering with our friends at Jekyll's Kitchen
<http://www.jekyllskitchen.com> (across the street from the theatre at
17 River Street), to offer a /special prize package/ during the WVIZ/PBS
& 90.3 WCPN® ideastream® Pledge Drive.

Throughout the day on *Sunday, October 17*, listeners will be able to
enter a drawing for a fabulous 4-person meal (up to $300 in value) at
Jekyll's Kitchen, plus tickets to see /Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde/
afterwards and 8 Flex passes to use for the remainder of the Chagrin
Valley Little Theatre's season!

Visit Jekyll's Kitchen this month for their 1st Annual Clambake. For
$29.90 you get a dozen steamed clams, a slow-roasted ½ grilled chicken,
blue cheese coleslaw, sautéed sweet corn and herb smashed potatoes.

Stop in at Jekyll's before any show for Happy Hour (Mon-Fri 4:30-6pm)
and enjoy $4 Happy Hour Appetizers and $5 Cocktails.

    */ Ghosts, Goblins & Gobbledygook
    <http://cvlt.org/81stSeason/ghostsgoblins.php>/*

*October 23 and 24 at 2 PM*

*TICKETS: *$8
Intended for little ones ages 3-8

*Buy tickets online at
cvlt.org/81stSeason/ghostsgoblins.php
<http://www.cvlt.org/81stSeason/ghostsgoblins.php>**or call 440-247-8955*

Kids will watch as "Queenie" and the puppet "Mousie" will present a
fairy tale, our Youth Theatre will present short Halloween 'playlets',
"The Pocket Lady" will perform some audience participation fun, and
CVLT's own Edmond Wolff will play the guitar and sing Halloween songs.

Our usual villain "The Greedy Pumpkin" is back again to taunt the kids,
but "Wanda, the Good Witch" will be there to save the day. As always,
there will be a costume parade for kids on the stage (parents, bring
your cameras!), Halloween treats for everyone, and prizes from the
Pocket of "The Pocket Lady"!

*Accent on Youth + Safe Routes to Schools*

In conjunction with the /Safe Routes to Schools/ program, CVLT will host
Chagrin Falls Middle School students in its Main Stage Auditorium on
Wednesday, October 6 for an ambitious program of scouring for important
Village landmarks. Coordinator Julia Kolibab has already taken her
/Accent on Youth/ outreach initiative to the Moreland Hills Elementary
School in Orange and the Chagrin Falls Intermediate School. Sessions
conducted by student actors on relationship and social issues are also
on tap at Kenston, Mayfield, Solon, Chagrin Falls and West Geauga schools.

    */ Still time to SUBSCRIBE and SAVE!
    <http://cvlt.org/81stSeason/index.php>/*

Our 81st Season features /over 20/ events and shows to entertain you,
and buying a Season Subscription now saves you money on our 6 Main Stage
productions!

    * *$75 Regular Subscription*: One ticket to each main stage show
      (that's a 25% savings!)
    * *$65 Senior/Student Subscription*: One ticket to each main stage
      show (20% /further below/ the already great senior/student discount!)
    * *$100 Flex Pass Subscription*: /EIGHT / tickets to use in /any/
      combination for /any/ of our main stage productions. Maximum
      savings and maximum flexibility for your entertainment dollar!

*Subscribe today by calling the Box Office
or visiting www.cvlt.org/81stSeason
<http://www.cvlt.org/81stSeason/index.php>*!

*GET YOUR BRICK PAVERS!*
We may be installing more engraved pavers in our sidewalk before it
snows! Get your custom engraved brick paver order in before the next
round begins - http://www.cvlt.org/bricks 	*ADVERTISE IN OUR PLAYBILL!*
Last chance - you can still get your message in front of hundreds of
theatergoers throughout the entire 81st Season at incredibly low prices.
Contact Diane Gotliebowski at ads at cvlt.org <mailto:ads at cvlt.org> or
440.223.5953!

*CVLT.org . 440-247-8955
40 River Street, Chagrin Falls OH 44022*

Chagrin Valley Little Theatre is generously funded by Cuyahoga County
residents through Cuyahoga Arts and Culture. The Ohio Arts Council helps
fund our organization with state tax dollars to encourage economic
growth, educational excellence and cultural enrichment for all Ohioans.