[NEohioPAL] Chagrin Valley Writers Workshop - last chance to register until 2012

Scott Lax info at scottlax.com
Wed Oct 13 23:22:55 PDT 2010

LAST CHANCE TO TAKE A WRITING WORKSHOP WITH SCOTT LAX UNTIL 2012

Due to writing demands, I will be on teaching a hiatus until 2012.
There are a couple of spots left for the workshop that begins on
October 19, and four spots for the November-December workshop. Thanks
to all my former students for a great year -- Scott Lax

THE CHAGRIN VALLEY WRITERS' WORKSHOP
THERE IS LIMITED SPACE AVAILABLE FOR THE "HOW TO TELL A STORY"
WORKSHOP BEGINNING ON OCT. 19 - REGISTER NOW TO ASSURE YOUR SPOT

CONTACT US TO REGISTER OR FOR INFORMATION
Chagrin Valley Writers' Workshop c/​o Scott Lax
P.O. Box 23142 • Chagrin Falls, OH • 44023
Tel. 440.954.4039 • Email: info at scottlax.com, above

HOW TO TELL A STORY WORKSHOP
Tuesdays, 7-9 PM, October 19 and 26, November 2 and 9

Week One - “How to Think Like a Writer.” In it, we’ll talk about
the writing life, and do an exercise that may well change how you see
yourself as a writer. We’ll talk about why you write, how you write,
where you write, when you write and what’s keeping you from writing
more. We will also cover point of view.

Week Two - “Dialogue: The Key to Great Stories." Whether you’re a
fan of “Mad Men,” “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” “The Secret
Life of Bees,” "The Great Gatsby" or any other book, film or play,
it’s likely that you’ve been affected by the dialogue. How do those
writers do it? Scott Lax, who has won awards for a novel of literary
fiction, short stories, essays and features, and has been a source-
writer for a feature film, playwright and writer for Comedy Central
TV, will show you the tricks and tools of great dialogue, and why
it’s the key to capturing readers’ hearts.

Week Three - “Character Development: How to Turn Your Characters Into
Real, Live People.” Regardless of the genre in which you write, your
characters must be believable. No matter how good your writing is, if
your readers don’t care about your characters (even the villains),
you’ve lost them. Scott Lax will teach you how to bring them to life
as people, not simply “characters.”

Week Four - “Setting and Plot: Where Are You And Where Are You
Going?” You can’t put characters in a vacuum. They need exist in
believable settings. And you have to have them moving constantly.
That’s the simple essence of plot and setting. How do you create a
rich environment and make your story move through time? In this class,
Scott Lax will show you how to weave together the elements of
storytelling. When you leave this workshop, you may well have a new
lease on your writing life.

For more workshop information, including November's Manuscript
Workshop, go to http://www.scottlax.com/events.htm
For student's testimonials, go to http://www.scottlax.com/newsletter.htm
For Scott Lax's Blog for Writers and Readers go to http://www.scottlax.com/blog.htm