[NEohioPAL] The Youngstown Playhouse launches new actors’ series

Cheryl Games cgames at mac.com
Wed Oct 27 15:05:48 PDT 2010

Griffith-Adler Actors Series debuts at the Youngstown Playhouse next month

Series will present smaller, more adventurous performances

Youngstown, Ohio – The Youngstown Playhouse is thrilled to announce a new performance line-up that will debut next month at the Youngstown Playhouse. The Griffith-Adler Actors Series in the Moyer Room provides a space to do smaller and more adventurous productions that cannot be produced on the main stage.

“By expanding our offerings, we are hopeful we will reach a new audience and provide a different type of theatre experience for our patrons,” said Youngstown Playhouse Executive Director Mary Ruth Lynn.

The season features a wide variety of shows from the comedy of first sexual encounters in My First Time to the dark play Pillowman that explores the influence of art on society

The series is named after two local families, the Griffiths and the Adlers. Both families were generous donors to the Playhouse. “We felt it was time to recognize their contributions, and this actors’ series was a fitting tribute,” said Lynn.

Years ago, the Actors Arena Theatre was a popular and unique theatre located in the basement of the Playhouse. Smaller productions, including more contemporary and intimate plays, were done in that arena. A plan to renovate the area and add on to the Playhouse was never fulfilled. Recent renovations to the Moyer Room are making this new series possible.

The season schedule and directors are:
My First Time directed by Robert Joki – opening Nov. 5th.
The Pillowman directed by Mary Ruth Lynn – opening Jan. 14th
That Championship Season directed by Joseph Scarvel – opening Mar. 11th
Dead Man’s Cell Phone directed by Susan Thompson -opening May 13th
God of Carnage directed by Johnny Pecano – opening July 8th

Tickets prices are $15.00 for adults and $12.00 for seniors and students. These productions contain mature content and strong language.

For Tickets/Reservations, call the Youngstown Playhouse Box Office at 330-788-8739.

For more information, visit http://www.mvtheaterbuzz.com/