[NEohioPAL] Seeking candidates and referrals: Looking for a roommate for a second-floor unit + studio space.

Michael A. Miller msrg-publications at cox.net
Sun Nov 7 04:20:37 PST 2010

My landlord just bought a three-story house on a sidestreet off of Madison Avenue in Lakewood, in the St. Edward's High School vicinity.

The first floor is occupied by a couple with two small children. The second and third floors will be available in a month or so.

The second floor has two bedrooms. The third floor is a cozy one-bedroom unit.

I want to rent both and use the third floor as a studio, but would need to split the rent and utilities of both with a roommate. I'd be using the third floor as an office for writing and designing. I'm looking for another artist who could also use studio workspace for visual art or writing or something quiet and noncommercial.

Amenities include kitchen appliances, a washer and dryer, and at least one storage space.

The landlord told me he would accept a dog because the tenants who were already there when he bought the house have a dog and he has to be fair. He would probably also accept a cat, but I wouldn't.

The roommate's obligations as a tenant would be to the landlord and landlady. I'm looking for someone I could get along with and, obviously, don't wish to be screwed by someone moving in and then skipping out. I'd also ask for a written agreement between us, stating the terms of the rental and that we're splitting rent and utilities 50-50. The landlords do background checks, so financial stability in terms of being able to rent and utilities current is essential.

I'm 50 and the poster child for 50 being the new 35. However, while I'm not a fuddy-duddy, I like a peaceful environment, meaning no drama and no excessive noise. It doesn't matter to me if candidates are gay or straight, male or female, as long as they have a job and can stick it out for at least a year. All I'm looking for is someone who's not an a'hole and will meet his or her financial obligations.

I was going to rent the third floor to live in, but decided to go this route. While I'm most fortunate that my awesome landlord and landlady are agreeing to this, there might still be some details to hammer out with them. They said this plan is okay with them but that's as far as the discussion has gone.

If you're interested or know someone who might be, please reply to me at msrg-publications at cox.net  or 216-389-6784. Call anytime, except if calling Monday through Friday, it's better you should call after 3:00 p.m.

Cheers,

Michael A. Miller
msrg-publications at cox.net
216.389.6784