[NEohioPAL] Bebe Weinberg Katz expresses why she wanted to do THE DANCING MAN to benefit FPAC

Fred Sternfeld fsternfeld at fairmountcenter.org
Thu Nov 11 04:39:43 PST 2010

 I hope you will consider attending Fairmount Performing Arts Conservatory's
benefit on the evening of November, 20, 2010.  Or, if you can't attend, to
become a patron.  We are trying to raise funds to award scholarships to
deserving young people who want to attend FPAC's Summer Training, but need
financial assistance.

There are several options for ticket prices for adults, some for as low as
$25!

Complete details are at this link:
http://www.fairmountcenter.org/dancingman.html

Below is a letter from Bebe Weinberg Katz that will appear in the playbill
for the event...

Regards,
Fred Sternfeld
Artistic Director, Fairmount Performing Arts Conservatory

*Twenty five years ago, in 1985, a performer in my dance company gave my 5
year old daughter Adrienne the book **The Dancing Man** as a birthday gift.
She said it's message made her think of us and she thought we would like
it.  The first time I read this book aloud to my daughter I found I choked
up as I spoke the title character's iconic words "I am the dancing man and I
have a gift for you."    In 1992 I was searching for just the right story to
use as a dance/drama for my younger daughter Ellen's 2nd grade class and I
turned to **The Dancing Man**.  The story is so universal in its message.
Jump ahead to 2009 and my first summer as supervisor for FPAC's production
workshop.  Once more this magical book surfaced as the perfect vehicle to
use with the youngest of FPAC's actors.  The author's words are so
descriptive, her story so simple and clear that Natalie Green and I found
that it translated to the stage with great ease.  When that performance
ended Natalie and I decided that someday we would do the play again with
older actors and dancers. **
*
*
Some time this past summer, when we were exhausted and exhilarated from FPAC
days and Children of Eden nights, Natalie and I were daydreaming about our
"project" and just how we might find a way to produce The Dancing Man with
our dream cast.  I don't know exactly how it happened but somehow we segued
from producing our show to creating a benefit for raising FPAC scholarship
money.  I think the benefit idea happened when we realized the message of
this unique book is actually the message of Fairmount Performing Arts
Conservatory. To love your art, to share your gift and to leave a legacy for
the next generation.  That is the powerful message of this book and nothing
could be more fitting as a way to express what we do at Fairmount Performing
Arts Conservatory.  FPAC's entire mission is to train young actors by
exposing them to working professionals be it in acting, music or dance.
Using this story for a benefit performance just made sense.

*
*The last piece was to get permission from the author.  To my amazement Ruth
Bornstein, author and illustrator, was delighted to give us permission to
adapt her work.  She has also been so gracious as to give us one of her
preliminary drawings from the book to sell to raise additional funds.  She
wants to share her gift and her love with us at FPAC and with her help and
the funds raised here tonight we will be able to share that gift with many
more young people.

Love,
**
Bebe Weinberg Katz*