[NEohioPAL] December news & calendar from Adam Cord, American finger-style guitarist

Janelle janelle at squarepegpromotions.com
Fri Dec 3 13:15:44 PST 2010

Hello, everyone

One of my favorite songs by Loudon Wainwright III says it all.  A small
excerpt:

Suddenly it's Christmas, right after Halloween
Forget about Thanksgiving, it's just a buffet in between
There's lights and tinsel in the windows, they're stocking up the shelves
Santa's slaving at the North Pole in his sweat shop full of elves

There's got to be a build-up to the day the Christ was born
The halls are decked with pumpkins and ears of Indian corn
Dragging through the falling leaves in a one-horse open sleigh
Suddenly it's Christmas, seven weeks before the day

--from "Suddenly It's Christmas" by Loudon Wainwright III

Now that it's past Thanksgiving, I can finally allow myself to turn my
attention to Christmas, but Loudon says it so well, doesn't he?

I have a last-minute addition to my November schedule and then we will just
roll on into December.

Tuesday, November 30:  FODFest (Friends of Daniel Pearl)  Beachland
Ballroom, 15711 Waterloo Rd.  Cleveland, OH  44110
www.beachlandballroom.com    www.fodfest.org  8pm- You may remember that
Daniel Pearl was a journalist who was executed over in the Middle East
several years ago.  One of his friends has organized a traveling music
festival in his honor using local musicians in each town and I will be
participating at the Cleveland show this Tuesday.  I don't know when I am
playing or for how long, I'm just going to show up and be a part of the
whole thing.  Sounds like fun.

Saturday, December 4:  Scioto Hills Christian Camp  1009 Twp Hwy 298
Wheelersburg, OH  45694  www.sciotohills.com  6pm-  I am taking a trip back
down to southern Ohio where I spent many years of my childhood, and I get to
play a few places besides.

Sunday, December 5:  Wheelersburg Baptist Church  11712 Gallia Pike Rd.
Wheelersburg, OH  45694  www.wheelersburgbaptist.com  10am- I will be
playing a few selections throughout the morning service.

Sunday, December 5:  Twin Valley Baptist Church  2797 St. Rt. 139
Portsmouth, OH  45662  6pm-  My family used to rent a house owned by Twin
Valley Baptist many years ago.  I spent a lot of time around that place, so
it's really cool to go back.  They have invited me back for an evening
concert.  I wonder if we got our deposit back?

Sunday, December 12:  New Grounds Cafe  2804 St. Rt. 39  Walnut Creek, OH
44687  www.newgroundscafe.com  8pm-  New Grounds holds a small
worship/church service on Sunday nights and I will be playing a small
concert during this particular week.  I am sure that some Christmas stuff
will sneak in there...

Saturday, December 18:  Abbe Road Baptist Church  670 Abbe Road  Elyria, OH
44035  www.abberoad.org  6:30pm-  I am playing as the dinner
music/entertainment for the youth group Christmas party.

Friday, December 24:  Faith Bible Fellowship  126 W. Overdale Road
Tallmadge, OH  44278  www.fbfchurch.org  7pm-  I will be part of FBF's
Christmas Eve service playing a few songs.

Tuesday, December 28:  Green AARP Christmas Party  Guy's Party Center  500
E. Waterloo Road  Akron, OH  44319  1pm-  I was invited to play this event
by friends at Greensburg United Methodist Church in Green.

It is hard to believe, but we have been back in Ohio for almost six months
now.  It still seems brand new.  I feel thankful and humbled all year round,
but for some reason such things always feel deeper to me at Christmas.  I
remember having Christmas last year in Milwaukee and thinking, "This time
next year we'll be doing this in Akron."  And here we are.  It has been
heartening to re-connect with old friends and I just want to say "Thank you"
to each of you who read these things every month and take the time to come
out and hear me noodle around on the guitar.  I am truly blessed to know all
of you.

Merry Christmas,
AC

Adam has released three instrumental guitar CDs, all available on CDBaby.com
in CD or MP3 format. A few video clips of Adam playing guitar are posted on
YouTube.com via his website http://adamcord.com.

To inquire or to schedule lessons, please contact Adam by email at
dissonantcord at hotmail.com.

Adam Cord, an Akron native and resident, is a 2010 graduate of University of
Wisconsin-Milwaukee, the only college in the world that offers bachelor and
master's degrees in which students may specialize in American Finger-style
guitar. In addition to thousands of hours of practicing and performing, Adam
has also been formally trained in pedagogy and transcription of American
finger-style music.