[NEohioPAL] Firestone Theatre in Akron is Auditioning High School Students to Start Studies in Fall of 2011

firestonetheatre at gmail.com firestonetheatre at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 13:36:12 PST 2010

Looking for a challenging and disciplined educational theatre
environment? Check out the theatre program at Akron's Firestone High
School and accept the challenge. Seats are available for raising
ninth, tenth, and eleventh graders.

The Firestone Theatre curriculum features two (2) courses of study
designed specifically for students intent on a career in the arts.
Students may select to follow the Comprehensive Theatre Track for
actors and general students of theatre or to follow the Technical
Theatre and Design Track for students interested in a career backstage
or in the design studio. The Comprehensive Theatre student spends two
periods in each day in an intensive theatre curriculum that features
four levels of acting in addition to a full slate of technical and
foundation courses. The Technical Theatre and Design student follows a
course of study that combines the best of our technical and foundation
theatre classes with many art classes offered in our respected visual
art program.

Firestone Theatre is the play production component of the school’s
arts program and features a full season of plays and musicals. We
provide students with the opportunity to appear on stage and also to
contribute to the creative process via a backstage or technical role.
Firestone students are not just actors but also designers and
technicians; our students design sound, lights, scenery, props, and
many other aspects of production. Students run the equipment, pull
props, play an instrument for the musical pit, focus lights, sell
tickets, and record sound effects as well as build, paint, and move
scenery. A few especially talented students have earned the privilege
of directing a production in the annual festival of one-act plays.

Students applying for our Theatre Program must proceed through the
district’s open enrollment process. Forms are available in the office
of every Akron school building starting the first full week of each
January. These forms must be completed and returned by the due date to
be included in the audition process. Be sure to note your interest in
the theatre program in the appropriate blank. All applicants will be
contacted via U.S. Mail with specific audition and appointment
information. Questions regarding this process should be directed to
the district’s Fine Arts Office at 330-761-3189. Students who already
live in the Firestone High School cluster area must complete a
separate but related form as these students do not need to open enroll
into the building.

The Open Enrollment period is ongoing and ends January 7, 2011.
Applications may be obtained at the school, at the Akron Board of
Education located at 70 N. Broadway, and online at
http://www.akronschools.com/departments/open-enrollment/.

Applications must be submitted to the open enrollment office
(330.761.2810) by Friday, January 7, 2011, at 4:30 p.m.

Firestone High School is the home of the secondary school component of
the district’s nationally recognized Visual and Performing Arts
Program. Students from throughout the area make a daily trek to west
Akron to take advantage of our fantastic arts curriculum. Students
select from five successful programs: choral music, dance,
instrumental music, visual art, and theatre. Each program is intensive
and designed for the serious student who is intent on pursuing a
career in the arts.

Check out our website at www.FirestoneTheatre.com for more information.

--
Mark A. Zimmerman,