[NEohioPAL] Female Actors, or Actettes

James Kosmatka jkosmatka at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 07:02:12 PST 2010

Dear Mr. Covey,

I fail to see how "actress" is inherently preferable to "female actor". The
use of gender-specific job titles seems to be rather haphazard in the
English language. For every "stewardess", "waitress", "actress",
"comedienne" and occasional "directress", there's a dozen neutral terms:
lawyer, surgeon, trucker, musician, writer, doctor, manager, teacher,
janitor, Jedi, president, senator, judge, jury and executioner. Really, if
you wanted to be consistent about the English language, you'd be championing
the use of janitress and jurette. Wikipedia tells me that it's from
nineteenth century grammarians Latinizing English, perhaps the Victorian
equivalent of heavy-handed linguistic prescriptivism. Taking your complaint
to its logical conclusion, perhaps we should reinstate the linguistic purity
that is Old English before the Norman Conquest. After all, Latin has been
vulgarizing English for some time. I cite the sixteenth century scholar Sir
John Cheeke: "Our own tung shold be written cleane and pure, vnmixt and
vnmangled with borrowing of other tunges."

About the best thing you can say for gender-specific job titles is that when
they refer to a person whose gender is intrinsic to their job duties (actor,
model, stripper, corrections officer), the use of the gender-specific noun
saves you a few syllables or keystrokes. I might also point out that of the
four examples above, only one of them has a common gender-specific
formation.

So maybe we should to start referring to them as strippers and strippresses.

Somewhat sincerely,
Jæmes Kosmatka