[NEohioPAL] The Numbers Band's NYE concert featured in Kent Patch

The Kent Stage wrfaa at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 15:38:48 PST 2010

Dear NEohPAL members,
Kent Patch was recently launched here in Kent.  I suggest you look at the local
Patch to help you promote your events.  There are now 750 of these Patch sites.

THE KENT STAGE
Northeast Ohio's Premiere Concert Venue
The Kent Stage featured in Patch Kent

The Numbers Band to say Goodbye to 2010 at
The Kent Stage
Local band in its 41st year of making original music to play New Year's Eve

For a band in its 41st year of making music, the Numbers Bandshows no signs of
slowing down.

The Numbers Band (officially named 15-60-75) will usher in the New Year with a
special concert Friday, Dec. 31, at 8 p.m. at The Kent Stage. Rachel Wearsch and
The Beatnik Playboys will open the show.

The band has been a fixture of the Northeast Ohio music scene for decades, and
still performs regularly in Kent, Akron and Cleveland.  The band formed in 1970
by guitarist/songwriter Bob Kidney and saxophonist Terry Hynde. They made their
live debut at The Kove in Kent in July of that year, and they soon attracted a
large local following. Kidney's brother Jack joined soon after, and his
harmonica and keyboards have been a constant of the band's original sound since
then.

The band went through lots of personnel changes, especially in the early years.
Devo co-founder Gerry Casale was in an early incarnation. Bassist Bill Watson
and drummer Frank Casamento anchor the current line-up, which has been together
seven years.  When Akron-area groups such as Devo and Tin Huey signed national
record contracts in the 1970s, many expected the Numbers Band would follow suit.
But while their local following grew, national success eluded them.

But Kidney is extremely proud of his band's status. "I'm proud of the fact that
we're a local band," he said. "The reason we're here after 40 years is because
we are a local band and people here support us. They come to see us play what we
play, and they don't ask us to do anything else. I'm proud of that and that's
what I work for."

This year was a big year for the group. In addition to celebrating their 40th
anniversary, the band released a new CD, "The Inward City," produced by David
Thomas of the acclaimed alt-rock band Pere Ubu.  Originally rooted in
Chicago-style blues, the Numbers Band sound has evolved over the years into an
intriguing mix of blues, rock and jazz.

While it's true that their music defies easy categorization, it's not hard to
get it when you hear them live. When the band is on, the Numbers Band is a
powerful and hypnotic unit. The rhythm section provides the foundation, allowing
for Hynde's soaring sax, Jack's killer harmonica and Bob's trademark vocals, wit
and brilliant off-kilter guitar work.

The band has some surprises planned for New Year's Eve. Former guitarist Mike
Stacy will sit in on some songs, and Kidney says other former band members also
may perform. Beatnik Playboys guitarist Steve Downey also is expected to join
the group for some tunes.

As the band caps off a big year, Kidney is also looking forward. The band has
already booked a solid slate of live shows for 2011, and Kidney has plenty of
new projects he would like to tackle. Over the last two years he has been
archiving his vast collection of photographs. His goal is to eventually release
a DVD photo history of the band.  Amazingly, he says he has photos of every
line-up of the band since its inception.

Kidney also has an extensive archive of the band's live performances he is
hopeful to go through in the new year. "I'm probably going to start offering mp3
downloads so you can buy the songs online," Kidney said.

The Kent Stage is one of the band's favorite venues, and he is hopeful local
folks will support it. "It's an amazing venue and one that features local bands
and local music," Kidney said.

The Kent Stage will add to Friday night's festivities with free appetizers and
New Year's Eve party favors. Half bottles of champagne will be available, in
addition to their regular full bar.

"It should be fun," Kidney said. "It will be a nice night of music."

Tickets are $15 and are available online at www.kentstage.org, at Woodsy's Music
and Spin More Records, and will also be available at the door.

About this column:Local radio personality Bob Burford will be reviewing live
music acts in the Kent area for your reading pleasure here on Kent Patch.

 Tickets on-sale now at www.kentstage.org

Location & Ticket Info

The Kent Stage is located at 175 East Main Street in downtown Kent, Ohio.  There
is FREE parking behind the theater and on all city streets after 6PM.  Tickets
are available 24-hours a day at www.kentstage.org or call 1-800-595-4849. After
initial on-line sales, Woodsy's Music and Spin-More Records go on sale.  If not
sold-out, tickets also be available at the door.  Doors open one hour before
concert.  If you have any questions please email us at wrfaa at yahoo.com
 or tom at kentstage.org  or call 330-677-5005.

Policy. Email Marketing by

Friends of The Kent Stage | 175 East Main Street | Kent | OH | 44240