[NEohioPAL] Altar Boyz: A Review

Kory OnTheRadio radiokory at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 14:23:06 PST 2011

My week started with a visit to the backstage corridors of the Hanna Theatre
in Playhouse Square. I was ushered up a staircase and into the green room
where I was greeted by the cast of Altar Boyz. We started our video with
introductions and met the cast of characters. Matthew (Josh Rhett Noble),
Mark (Matthew Ryan Thompson), Luke (Dan Grgic), Juan (Ryan Jagru) and “he’s
Jewish” Abraham (Connor O’Brien).

I got a really warm vibe from the cast and learned quite a bit about the
history of the production.  Most fascinating to me was that this same cast
performed Altar Boyz at the Beck Center in Lakewood in 2008 and that the
Beck was producing this run as well. Matthew Ryan Thompson is the only new
addition to the show and had only 2 weeks and 10 rehearsals to learn the 90
minute production. We finished our interview shoot (* **Check out the video
here<http://q104.radio.com/2011/01/14/video-kory-interviews-the-cast-of-altar-boyz/>
)* with a walk on the Hanna’s thrust stage and a trip to the $10 Smart
Seats, which are actually a steal inside the Hanna.

Thursday night I took my seat in the newly renovated theatre and marveled at
the now completed set. I had seen the inside of the theatre before but not
fully lit for a show, it was quite a sight. The show started late after a
few ‘time teases’ from V.O.G. announcer Martin Savidge (Worldfocus, CNN and
NBC) which really created a concert vibe.

The lights dropped, the band started playing and I really felt like I was
about to witness an N*Sync or Backstreet Boys concert. The boys took the
stage and immediately grabbed a laugh before taking their first step. Three
words, “World, World, World.” The show seemed a little “preachy” at first
but Mark (Matthew Ryan Thompson) breaks the ice during “Rhythm In Me” and
you soon realize this is no traditional gospel lesson. Thompson made the
role of the flamboyant (but not gay…openly…or something) Mark his own and
steals the show on several occasions.

Several of the big ‘knee slappers’ in the show are delivered by the Dan
Grgic as Luke. This band member made a stop through a rehab facility
recently due to ‘exhaustion.’ Anyone who follows the pop culture
celebretards and their various rehab stints will appreciate this part of the
storyline and Dan’s exaggerated delivery.

Juan (Ryan Jagru) is a hysterical mix of Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias,
Agador from *The Birdcage* and a telenovela character. Ladies if you sit
near the front of the house there is a pretty good chance you will get hit
on by the heartthrob at one point or another. Jagru accentuates the
character with accurate flamenco body language and exaggerated Latin
machismo.  You can’t not love this character!

Connor O’Brien’s performance as Abraham starts off a little cheesy (I can
imagine it was written that way) but as the show goes on this character
really begins to tug on your heart strings. O’Brien’s depth and vocal talent
will amaze you and probably (as was the case with me) catch you off guard
and reaching for a tissue as he sings “I Believe” late in the show. It was
just a shame his mic kept shorting out before finally going out completely.

Sound was a big issue on Thursday night. Right from the beginning I didn’t
feel like there was enough music in the mix, at certain points I could
actually hear the dance steps on the stage over the music. Not very
‘concert-y’ (I just made that a word) at all. During the Genesis of the
Altar Boyz ‘according to Abraham’ scene I could not hear “God’s” dialogue at
all. If I were to give anything a negative review it would be the sound. I
only hope it improves as the run continues.

I save Josh Rhett Noble (Matthew) for last because he is the returning lead
in the show and his experience with the script shines through. His lines
seemed very natural as though he indeed was on the last night of the “Raise
The Praise” tour. His vocals were spot on and he really came across as a big
brother figure to his ‘AB boyz.’ His rendition of “Girl, You Make Me Want To
Wait” will have you laughing out loud (or lol’ing for the cool kids). One
reviewer called him ‘sweaty.’ I would challenge said writer to dance for 90
minutes straight under hot light’s while singing live and not break a
sweat…I think I’ll stick to radio.

Overall I give the Altar Boyz an 8 out of 10. The guys knew their parts cold
and danced their asses off. The vocal harmonies will move you, the storyline
will entertain you and the Soul Sensor (from the good people at Sony) will
have you wondering if its ‘got yo numba!’ The music, lighting, staging,
choreography, acting and vocals were spot on. The sound however was very
distracting and pulled me out of the show on a few occasions. This musical
is not for those who take their religion (or themselves for that matter) too
seriously, but if you believe that God has a sense of humor and created us
all just the way we are, then head to the
playhousesquare.org<http://www.playhousesquare.org/>and pick up your
tickets for Altar Boyz…it will ‘altar’ your mind.

Altar Boyz is playing at the Hanna Theatre Playhouse Square in Downtown
Cleveland through January 30th.

The views and opinions of the writer are his alone and do not necessarily
reflect the view and opinions of CBS Radio, Q104, it’s staff, management or
advertisers.

Kory is the night/interim afternoon DJ on Cleveland's Q104! Send questions
or comments to: radiokory at gmail.com