[NEohioPAL] Assassins 2nd Weekend at Lakeland

Martin Friedman martinfriedman98 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 03:48:29 PST 2011

"Assassins isn't just about the men and women who tired to kill presidents of
the United States.
Assassins is about the American experience.  Assassins won five Tony Awards --
and for good reason.

Theatergoers should trust Stephen Sondheim and director Martin Friedman.”

 Gregory Truhan, U.S.Secret Service (Retired)

Assassins isn't simply about the nuts who've tried to kill Presidents of the
United States any more than

Sweeney Todd is simply about a cannibalistic barber.

Instead, Assassins is about politics, the media and the American experience.
If you've ever seen a Sondheim musical - or if you've ever attended a show at
Lakeland Theater -

you won't be disappointed.  Do not miss this production.

Lakeland Theatre
ASSASSINS
Music and Lyrics by
Stephen Sondheim
Book by
John Weidman

Directed byMartin Friedman
 Musical Director    John Krol
Sets and Lights Designed byTrad A Burns
Sound Design by Eric Simna
  Costumes Designed by Craig Tucker
  Technical DirectorTony Kavocic
Production Stage Manager  Joel Rathbone
 The Cast:

The Ensemble: Matt Super, Eric Fancher, Sarah Clare, Bernadette Hisey, Nicole
Groah

 The Balladeer: Aaron Elersich

The Proprietor: Jim Jarrell

Leon Frank Czolgosz Brian Altman

John Warnock Hinckley, Jr., Kevin Becker

Charles Julius Guiteau Kevin Joseph Kelly

Giuseppe Zangara Trey Gilpin

Samuel Joseph Byck  Brint Learned

Lynette Alice "Squeaky" FrommeNeely Gevaart

Sara Jane Moore Amiee T Collier

John Wilkes Booth Scott Esposito

Emma GoldmanBernadette Hisey

Lee Harvey Oswald  Curt Arnold

 THE PLAY: Lakeland’s production of Assassins continues director Martin
Friedman’s examination of Stephen Sondheim’s musicals. Assassins journeys into
the psyches of the nine successful and failed U.S. presidential assassins and
lays bare their compulsions, half-baked political rationales, petty grievances,
and the hallucinations nursed by each of them. It is also about the perils of a
culture that dreams of tabloid immortality. Truly thought-provoking and
eye-opening, this original off-Broadway production was a winner of five Tony
Awards.

Lakeland Theatre’s production is a professional production of the complete show
and features the designs of celebrated set and lighting designer Trad A Burns
and musical director John Krol.

Production Dates:
February 2011

“Sondheim and Weidman chose a unique subject, but assassination is not
sentimentalized or glorified. The musical questions American values, guns, and
broken promises….Assassins is not an easy show; it does not resolve neatly; and
it forces its audience to ponder its purpose. Its complexity challenges
Americans to search for answers….”

Barbara Means Fraser
http://www.sondheim.com/commentary/soc-struggle.html

“Assassins, in fact, breaks ground the way no other musical has since, until
recent Broadway productions Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson and The Scottsboro
Boys.  Not everyone will like Assassins.  It makes demands, pokes holes in
comfortable notions of political integrity and belts you in the chops with its
hard driving energy and clout.  One of (Sondheim’s) most excoriating shows is
Assassins, a dark, demonic look at American politics and the troubled wing-dings
who assassinate, or at least attempt to cut down the nation’s
Presidents.

 Gary Smith
 http://www.thespec.com/entertainment/article/319694

This is what they always wanted, isn't it? A clear shot at the big time….the
glitteringly dark musical by Stephen Sondheim and John Weidman about Americans
who dream of killing their country's presidents has finally made it to Broadway.
 So can these desperate people, whose greatest fear is of being thought small,
actually expand in proportion to the lavish production they have been given? Oh
boy, can they ever.

Ben Brantley
24 April 2004 NYTimes
Take I 90 east and exit at the second exit, Route #306. Turn right (south) on
Rt. #306. Turn left into the Lakeland Community College , the first light. Get
in the right lane. Turn right at the stop sign. Turn right at the next stop
sign. Turn left into the faculty/staff parking lot. Park at the other end of the
parking lot and walk past the Clocktower and enter into Building D on your left.
Parking is free in the faculty/staff parking lot (and all student lots all the
time) after 7pm on weeknights and weekends from Friday through Sunday.

Directions:
Friday, February 11,  7:30 p.m.
Saturday, February 12,  7:30 p.m.
Sunday February 13,  2:00 p.m.
Friday, February 18,  7:30 p.m.
Saturday February 19,  2:00 p.m and 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, February 20,  2:00 p.m.

"Assassins" will open on Friday, February 4 and run through Sunday, February 20,
2011-- Friday through Sunday. POST PLAY DISCUSSIONS will follow each
performance. Retired Secret Service Agent Gregory Truhan and Dr. Martin Friedman
will moderate.

All evening shows begin at 7:30 PM. Sunday matinees begin at 2:00 PM. For ticket
information and reservations please call 440/525-7526. Tickets are $15 for
adults, $12 for seniors and $7 for all students.Group rates are available. For
more information please feel free to either email me, Martin Friedman, at
martinfriedman98 at yahoo.comor call 440.525.7034(and press #1 to bypass the
message).

--  Hennes Paynter Communications LLC 2841 Berkshire Road Cleveland, Ohio 44118
216/321-7774  http://www.crisiscommunications.com  Crisis Communications Media
Training Media Relations Litigation Communications  If your situation is DEFCON
4 (extraordinarily time-sensitive and  critical), call our 24/7 Emergency Crisis
Comm Hotline at 216/223-8771.  If we are unable to answer when you call that
line, we will likely return your call within 30 minutes. Otherwise, please call
our normal  office line at 216/321-7774 and if we're not in, leave a voicemail
and we will respond in the usual manner.