[NEohioPAL] INTO THE WOODS Auditions at Near West Theatre

Sara Radak Sradak at nearwesttheatre.org
Mon Feb 21 06:37:05 PST 2011

Auditions for

INTO THE WOODS
(For Ages 16 & up)

February 22, 23 & 24
(Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday)
7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

This is a group audition.  Come one of these evenings.
Plan to stay for the entire time specified.

Audition Location: St. Luke's Episcopal Church
West 78th St. & Lake Road

Arrive 15 minutes early to register
Anyone arriving after the starting time will not audition that day.

About the Show:
Music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim     Book by James Lapine
Originally directed on Broadway by James Lapine     Orchestrations by Jonathan Tunick

An ambivalent Cinderella? A blood-thirsty Little Red Riding Hood? A Prince Charming with a roving eye?  A Witch...who raps? They're all among the cockeyed characters in James Lapine and Stephen Sondheim's fractured fairy tale. When a Baker and his Wife learn they've been cursed with childlessness by the Witch next door, they embark on a quest for the special objects required to break the spell, swindling, lying to and stealing from Cinderella, Little Red, Rapunzel and Jack (the one who climbed the beanstalk). Everyone's wish is finally granted, but the consequences of their actions return to haunt them later, with disastrous results. What begins a lively irreverent fantasy  becomes a moving lesson about community responsibility and the stories we tell our children.

About the Audition
   Looking to build a large, racially & ethnically diverse cast of characters.  All roles are open.  No experience necessary.  No prepared material needed.  A relaxed, playful and friendly atmosphere.  Wear comfortable clothing & shoes for dancing so you can move easily.
Group audition process.  Actors are led through multiple improvisational exercises including acting, movement and singing.

Rehearsals begin Sunday, March 13, 2011
The show runs May 6 to 22, 2011

THOUGHTS FROM THE DIRECTOR......
Hi Everyone!
      I'm thrilled you are curious about auditioning for Into the Woods, our upcoming spring production at Near West Theatre. This is a Sondheim treasure!  Funny, gripping, sophisticated and ruthlessly honest when dealing with human nature.

      A wonderful group of designers and I are conceiving a fresh production, staged in the round, with an expanded COMPANY.  The "Chorus" members will play other fairytale characters living in this mythical kingdom.  These characters will be chosen and created to more fully develop the aspects of the plot that deal with the village and the impact our main characters' choices have on the greater community.

      So, for example, because of the WOLF, we could add the Three Little Pigs, because of RED RIDING HOOD'S love of eating, we could add the gingerbread ("not my gumdrop buttons") boy. How about adding Pinocchio, Hansel and Gretel or even the 3 men in a tub!!!   The imagination goes wild.  Think Into the Woods meets Shrek. Anyway...just come.  A fun and irreverent time is promised all. This is going to be a hoot!  Plan to delve.

To enchantment!    Bob Navis Jr., Artistic Director

Character Breakdown
CINDERELLA- Soprano- Earnest, warm-hearted.
CINDERELLA'S FATHER- Baritone
CINDERELLA'S MOTHER- Mezzo-Soprano
CINDERELLA'S PRINCE- Baritone- Vain and gorgeous.
CINDERELLA'S STEPMOTHER- Mezzo-Soprano-  Mean-spirited.
FLORINDA- Soprano (Mezzo-Soprano)- Cinderella's stepsister, lovely but black of heart.
GIANT
GRANNY- Red's fiesty, savage grandmother.
JACK- tenor-  The feckless Giant Killer, almost a man.
JACK'S MOTHER- Mezzo-Soprano-  Browbeating and weary.
LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD-  Soprano (light Mezzo-Soprano)  A spoiled smart aleck.
LUCINDA- Mezzo-Soprano-   Cinderella's stepsister, lovely but black of heart.
MYSTERIOUS MAN- Baritone- A mischievous vagrant.
NARRATOR- Baritone-  Intellectual and pleasant.
RAPUNZEL- Soprano- A loopy-but-lovely maiden.
RAPUNZEL'S PRINCE- Baritone-  Just as vain and gorgeous.
SLEEPING BEAUTY
SNOW WHITE
STEWARD- Surly and bureaucratic.
THE BAKER- Baritone- Harried and insecure.
THE BAKER'S WIFE- Mezzo-Soprano- Determined and bright.
THE WITCH- Mezzo-Soprano- Sarcastic, ugly-then-gorgeous.
WOLF- Baritone- Hungry and insatiable.

For information, call the director, Bob Navis Jr.
216-281-6879 or Near West's Office 216-961-9750

Near West Theatre Office: 6514 Detroit Avenue Cleveland, OH 44102

Performance Site: St. Patrick's Club Building, 3606 Bridge Avenue Cleveland, OH 44113

www.nearwesttheatre.org

Near West Theatre is an open & affirming organization.