[NEohioPAL] "Wouldn't It Be Loverly?" to come to Stocker Arts Center!

Linda Hefner lhefner at lorainccc.edu
Thu Mar 10 09:35:40 PST 2011

"Wouldn't It Be Loverly?" to come to Stocker Arts Center to see

The Making of...My Fair Lady

"She's so deliciously low. So horribly dirty."

Poor Eliza Doolittle, she had no idea what she was getting herself into.
But while Eliza is a fictional character, the same could also be said of
Julie Andrews. Ms. Andrews had some trouble with Eliza's Cockney accent,
and Rex Harrison was so appalled by her during initial rehearsals he
threatened to quit the show if her performance didn't improve. But she
wasn't the only one to have trouble with Harrison.

On opening night at New Haven's Shubert Theatre, Harrison, who was not
accustomed to singing in front of a live orchestra, said he would not go
on that night and locked himself in his dressing room. The company was
sent home, only to be rounded up by the stage manager an hour before
curtain time when Harrison came out of his dressing room, ready to
perform. The show, of course, went on to be a huge hit on Broadway
despite the shenanigans leading up to it!

Rex Harrison wasn't all bad, though. It is said that Harrison would sing
the song "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" to his wife who would stand
in the wings and watch his performance during the original Broadway run.
She died a few years later of leukemia and, he has said, he thought of
her when he sang the song during the filming of the movie version.

Want more fun facts about The Making of...My Fair Lady? Come on out to
Stocker Arts Center on Saturday, March 19 at 7:30pm as Bill Rudman and
Nancy Maier bring the real story behind one of the most famous musicals
of all time to our stage.  See Joan Ellison, Jared Leal, Fabio Polanco,
and George Roth perform the wonderful songs by Alan Jay Lerner and
Frederick Loewe.

Order tickets now so we won't be "Without You" on March 19! Tickets are
$15 for adults and $10 for students. The Stocker Arts Center Box Office
is open from noon to 6pm Monday-Friday and 90 minutes prior to curtain
time. Phone: 440-366-4040 or 800-995-5222 ext. 4040. For more
information about this, or any of our other shows, or to order tickets
online, visit us at: www.lorainccc.edu/stocker

Stocker Arts Center, winner of the Best Live Music Venue and Best
Theater in the 2010 Pulse Magazine "Best of Lorain County" competition,
is on the campus of Lorain County Community College - we're closer than
you think! - 1005 North Abbe Road, Elyria, OH  44035. Free parking is
available on campus.

See you at the show!

Linda
Linda Hefner
Box Office Coordinator at Stocker Arts Center
Lorain County Community College
1005 N Abbe Rd, Elyria OH 44035
440-366-7144
lhefner at lorainccc.edu